Servicing gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HOG isnt the only one. OTS systems will train anyone willing to pay on thier masks/regs, and if you really are motivated, Kirby Morgan will do the same for thier full face masks and helmets.

I'm so observant sometimes.... I normally enjoy reading signatures more than actual posts...

Hog's hurdle is any tec certification (but that is only for their class). Get a Nitrox card, you're good.

You have to put the bar somewhere, if this bothers you, go to diverightinscuba.com and order the kits and do it yourself

Nope, not quite.

TDI Edge/HOG Equipment Service Course
Pre-requisites
In order to become a TDI certified Edge/HOG Equipment Service technician, you
must:
! be at least 18 years old, hold a nitrox diver certification, and hold a technical
diver certification, or;
! be at least 18 years old and be employed by a dive shop as a service
technician.

technical diver certification. That is pretty specific. Nitrox, have that...

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 12:59 PM ----------

This article sums it up pretty well.

HOG FIX YOUR GEAR | SDI | TDI | ERDI

No, not really.

It just seems like they should have a pre-exam, if you pass, you're good.

It's not like you can't have rec divers who are mechanically inclined and would rather take the time to service their own gear.

It's easy to get the tech cert. The TDI Nitrox class counts and you can do the classroom portion online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole thing was that this is not a HOG course. It is a TDI course and so the bar had to be set somewhere. I am also a HOG Technician Instructor and the requirements are not that crazy. As for the Nitrox cert.

The TDI nitrox class that goes into much more detail, tables, partial pressure calculations, etc., as opposed to the watered down set your computer and go courses, will stand on it's own. It is considered a technical certification and therefore meets both the nitrox and the tech cert requirement. And it's a great class that you can also do the written work on line for.

Intro to Tech or any overhead training that may be thought of as recreational by some agencies. Ie Ice, Cavern will also fly. Instructors also have some leeway. If you're not sure just ask one of us. I can send the outline for my course and the required tool list to anyone who wants it.

Note that as TDI Instructors we have some leeway in how we teach a class so order of items covered, recommended tools, etc may differ slightly between instructors. As will some of the info we pass on. I may run into different things servicing a reg that someone else has not seen. Rather than keep it a secret I share the info with my students in the class.

I am now servicing my own regs, but I will tell you that unless you have MANY sets of regs to do, after buying the right tools and the service kits, you may be better off financially paying the shop to do the work and getting the parts for life for no charge. I am happy doing my own work, but money had nothing to do with the route I chose. I estimate that I spent ~$400 on the tools I needed, and then paid $35 per first stage and $11 per second for service kits. I'm certainly not trying to discourage you, just something to think about.

That's preposterous. What $400.00 aggregation of tools did you "need" to service what regulators?

Preposterous? Yeah I reckon I spent around $400. I usually try and have the correct tools for the job no matter if it's SCUBA or another type of task. I could probably service one with a $5 multi tool and an IP gauge if I wanted to disregard torque specs, and scratch my reg to hell. I'll try to get around to putting up a list later. What did you spend to get started?

I am now servicing my own regs, but I will tell you that unless you have MANY sets of regs to do, after buying the right tools and the service kits, you may be better off financially paying the shop to do the work and getting the parts for life for no charge. I am happy doing my own work, but money had nothing to do with the route I chose. I estimate that I spent ~$400 on the tools I needed, and then paid $35 per first stage and $11 per second for service kits. I'm certainly not trying to discourage you, just something to think about.

What tools did you have to buy? I've got a tool kit that would make most men get butterflies like a little girl. It's not about the money either, I like to take pride in my work, and by doing my own service, if I were to have some type of malfunction, I would be able to diagnose and repair the field without much of an issue.

because a TDI Nitrox course, or a Intro to Tech class is such a high bar.

IF... You are a certified Tec diver.

Back
Top Bottom