Servicing gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I'm not sure if I spent around $400 in tools, I did spend a few hundred. All the small things add up, sockets, torque wrench, ultrasonic cleaner etc. Sure, it's possible to skip the torque wrench and ultrasonic cleaner but I feel it was a good decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 06:56 PM ----------

because a TDI Nitrox course, or a Intro to Tech class is such a high bar.

yup, a wicked high bar :wink:

What tools did you have to buy? I've got a tool kit that would make most men get butterflies like a little girl. It's not about the money either, I like to take pride in my work, and by doing my own service, if I were to have some type of malfunction, I would be able to diagnose and repair the field without much of an issue.

I'm on my phone so it's a pain to link to it, but Dive Right In Scuba has a tool list for the HOG class on their website.

I'll take a look.... Can someone from HOG or another manufacturer link me to a repair manual with the steps. I just want to get an idea of how much a pain, or how easy it actually is.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 06:08 PM ----------

Linky for those that were wondering what the list was as well...

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 06:10 PM ----------

Ultrasonic cleaner...

HOG doesn't publish their manual but there are copies of other manufacturers manuals out there. Check out this site: http://www.frogkick.dk/

because a TDI Nitrox course, or a Intro to Tech class is such a high bar.

My point exactly. It just seems like an entry exam would make more sense. But no, you require yet one more "card"

I've got everything BUT the ultrasonic cleaner and the brass pick. Which do you really need a brass pick? Oh and of course regulators because I'm not investing in that quite yet.

Brass picks are good because with steel picks it's possible to scratch the regulators

I'll look into them. I've had a couple jobs recently that I would have used a softer pick as well.. Fuel injector o-rings aren't fun when the are stubborn. We ended up needing a set. I wonder if MR. Snap-On has a set on his truck...

What did you spend to get started?

For the Zeagle, the cost of an IP gauge , three allen wrenches, and a "proprietary" spanner wrench (which I'm going to replace with a superior Home-Spun one). The 1st stage went 5 years before it "needed" a partial overhaul and I see no good reason or (non-medical) excuse to "scratch my reg to hell."

This was another thing that I have come up with. The LDS says about every 60 hours of actually diving and a reg set should at least be checked, if not just serviced. He says that most of the time they would be good to go with no extra servicing for longer than that. He says, BUUUT with the parts for life thing that I would be purchasing with an Apeks set, I would have to pay labor and everything yearly even if I didn't dive on them for a year, otherwise it voids out the contract. :confused: :shakehead:

What tools did you have to buy? I've got a tool kit that would make most men get butterflies like a little girl. It's not about the money either, I like to take pride in my work, and by doing my own service, if I were to have some type of malfunction, I would be able to diagnose and repair the field without much of an issue.

That's awesome :) I'll bet you have most of it, but will still want to buy things such as a first stage vice handle to make things easier. You may even be able to have one machined cheaply if you know the right folks. I did have some of the tools already, but decided to buy a full set so that I could have a set that goes with me. I do understand about wanting to work on your gear for the reasons you posted, and those are pretty much the reasons that I started.

I had never made a list of what I bought/paid before but here goes:

Face Pin Spanner $7.99
Dive Rite IP Gauge $19.99
First Stage Vise Handle $29.00
Christo-Lube MCG 111, .8 oz syringe $15.00
Dual Drive Inline Adjusting Tool $69.00
Hook Spanner Set, #3 thru #6 $56.00
Hook Spanner #5 (1.5 in. diameter arc) $14.00
Replaceable Pin (.160 dia.) for Hook Spanner $1.80
O'ring Pick Set (2), Soft Brass $13.50
Magnahelic (scubaboard) $106
Bondhus 7mm Hex L-wrench - Long 1 $4