Servicing gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a set of the picks from scubatools but use a plastic pick like this one more often:

FJC , 2860 Plastic O-Ring Seal Pick

When it gets munged I'll throw it out and use another.

Manuals: frogkick.dk

As for tools. I have bought some from scubetools.com but then got a bunch of bench testing gauges from a shop that closed including a HP manager that hooks up to my trans fill whip via disconnects.

That's going to break the bank right there. anyone want to permanently loan me those books to read? Just kidding... Amazon is being super slow right now for the whole ordering of things.. It must not want my money today... :)

In my opinion, the Harlow book is more relevant to home servicing than the Wolfinger book. Regulator Savvy is a good book don't get me wrong but it is not a step-by-step guide to regulator servicing. If you only could purchase 1 book then I would go with Harlow's first.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 05:42 AM ----------

As others have mentioned, with only one set of regulators to service it may not be cost effective for you to do it yourself unless you already have the tools.

from the looks of it, I have everything except a $9.00 set of brass picks and the ultra sonic cleaner..... which I'm sure a grandparent has that they don't know how to use.

The book were way more expensive than I thought they were going to be. I'm glad everyone came out to enlighten the situation though. I'll just have to save a little bit of money in a couple of days and order up one of those books.

Definitely get the Harlow book rather than the Wolfinger book. It's much more useful for DIY regulator service. The Wolfinger book is a very interesting book to read if you're curious about the physics and theory of regulator performance. It also encourages the use of specialized tools, which by complete coincidence, Wolfinger made and sold. :wink:

To be honest, if you're balking at spending $50 on the Harlow book, DIY regulator service might not be up your alley. Please understand I mean "might" as of course I don't know you personally. But by FAR the most useful "tool" for doing DIY regulator service is a reliable, no-BS source of practical information, which seems to be elusive in the scuba gear repair world.....

from the looks of it, I have everything except a $9.00 set of brass picks and the ultra sonic cleaner..... which I'm sure a grandparent has that they don't know how to use.

The book were way more expensive than I thought they were going to be. I'm glad everyone came out to enlighten the situation though. I'll just have to save a little bit of money in a couple of days and order up one of those books.

Remember YouTube is your friend also. Apeks has a really nice flash presentation on rebuilding their first and second stages.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 06:39 AM ----------

To be honest, if you're balking at spending $50 on the Harlow book, DIY regulator service might not be up your alley.

In my opinion the price is a bit high for the information you get (I don't remember it being so expensive) and given the book is only photocopied he could update it once and a while.

i find it strange that Apeks has a video. can you order service kits for them too then?

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 09:45 AM ----------

it's not about the price of the book. i just find that a copy of an older book shouldn't be thart hard tp come by. and if it's photo copied, the price does seem a little high, but it's whatever.

:dropmouth: that's nuts...

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 09:50 AM ----------

what's with the $400 price tag?

Obviously did not follow the links I had posted... :wink:

My jaw dropped as well when I was looking to buy them That just makes no sense at all.

Although as others have said the book may be photo copied, it is a high quality copy if it is, and it is on a thicker paper than standard copy paper. I is spiral bound so that it will always lay flat whatever page you are on.

I looked at your links and have it set aside for payday... I have a feeling I will enjoy reading this book regardless if I decide if I'm going to service my own gear.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 11:35 AM ----------

if anyone else has a copy they would like to let go of for less than $50.00 send me a PM. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom