Servicing gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree, the harlow book tells you how to replace orings and set the IP, it is not so great when you have a issue and need to figure out what and how to resolve. Reg Savvy makes you understand how a regulator works, that's the FIRST and most important step in becoming a competent reg tech. if you are the type of person that wants to understand and be a better tech and diver, Reg Savvy is the best starting point. Shortcut...trake the Harlow approach.
In my opinion, the Harlow book is more relevant to home servicing than the Wolfinger book. Regulator Savvy is a good book don't get me wrong but it is not a step-by-step guide to regulator servicing. If you only could purchase 1 book then I would go with Harlow's first.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 05:42 AM ----------

As others have mentioned, with only one set of regulators to service it may not be cost effective for you to do it yourself unless you already have the tools.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 01:42 PM ----------

Regulator Savvy (Spiral Bound)

Regulator Savvy (Three Ring)

there are two versions with different prices. BTW if you have a EDGE/HOG dealer nearby they also sell REG SAVVY (It's the textbook for the TDI/HOG Repair class)

you cannot truly fix a car without understanding how it works. I plan to purchase both of them... probably on pay day... maybe just one... I haven't decided yet....

you cannot truly fix a car without understanding how it works. I plan to purchase both of them... probably on pay day... maybe just one... I haven't decided yet....

Harlow address the basics of how regulators work. But Wolfinger goes into a lot more detail and covers some designs that Harlow gives little to nothing on. I started out with Harlow and it had all I needed to understand how my BP 1st and balanced adjustable 2nd worked and to service them. Quite frankly, most techs who get paid to service regulators probably have no idea how to calculate the downstream force exerted on an LP seat; and really don't need to. But Reg Savey provided what I needed to service my original Scubapro Pilot while Harlow just mentioned the design.

I recommend starting with Harlow and then adding Reg Savey when you want more.

I disagree, the harlow book tells you how to replace orings and set the IP, it is not so great when you have a issue and need to figure out what and how to resolve. Reg Savvy makes you understand how a regulator works, that's the FIRST and most important step in becoming a competent reg tech. if you are the type of person that wants to understand and be a better tech and diver, Reg Savvy is the best starting point. Shortcut...trake the Harlow approach.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 01:42 PM ----------

Regulator Savvy (Spiral Bound)

Regulator Savvy (Three Ring)

there are two versions with different prices. BTW if you have a EDGE/HOG dealer nearby they also sell REG SAVVY (It's the textbook for the TDI/HOG Repair class)

Respectfully, I think you are selling the Harlow book short. It gives more information than just replacing O-rings and setting IP. I have both books and I find Harlow's book the more helpful of the two. If I took the HOG course and have only HOG regulators then Harlow's book would be less useful because I would have training and a source of parts.

BTW, I was not complaining about the price on the Reg Savvy book, at $35 it is reasonably priced especially given the production quality.

it's not the price of either book that would be the issue. it would be the availability of parts and the confidence level of the person that is preparing to service their regulator.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 03:55 PM ----------

I also think that if they require you to have the base to be able to take their technician class then the books information is going to be needed at some point. It would also help with other parts of diagnosing other regulators that may not be specific to training. It's like a car, they are all called something different with different options, but the fundamentals are all the same. That is why you have to have all 8 (or 9) ASEs pasted before you can get dealer level training.

it's not the price of either book that would be the issue. it would be the availability of parts and the confidence level of the person that is preparing to service their regulator.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 03:55 PM ----------

I also think that if they require you to have the base to be able to take their technician class then the books information is going to be needed at some point. It would also help with other parts of diagnosing other regulators that may not be specific to training. It's like a car, they are all called something different with different options, but the fundamentals are all the same. That is why you have to have all 8 (or 9) ASEs pasted before you can get dealer level training.

A regulator is much simpler than a car. I have done a MK-2 and a MK-5 and am surprised how easy they are to service. The other thing I notice is how whoever serviced them before likes to tighten things beyond what the factory calls for. The most difficult thing is often getting the parts apart.

A regulator is much simpler than a car. I have done a MK-2 and a MK-5 and am surprised how easy they are to service. The other thing I notice is how whoever serviced them before likes to tighten things beyond what the factory calls for. The most difficult thing is often getting the parts apart.

The first four first stages I rebuilt after class all had stuck spring retaining caps. We didn't go over how to free them in class. I'm not advocating anyone else do this, but I gently heated that part using warm water until I could free it.

Ok, so what about the instance if you purchase a regulator from , say HOG, and you don't dealer near you. Has anyone come across this? What was the experience like?

---------- Post added April 7th, 2013 at 12:39 AM ----------

And we should change the fact I would have to drive a state in any direction to find a HOG dealer. I want to touch the products :)

You could order them from a large dealer in say, IL, touch them, and either keep them or send them back.

Back
Top Bottom