Setting the Hook: A Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want two minutes of my life back after reading your rude and thoughtless post.

+1.

I respect Mathauk's opinion. He is entitled to it.

Me, I would have phrased it differently. Leaving out details of the story.

It is a story of growing up, having kids and diving. As I said previously, I liked the book.

I will probably never dive the Doria. Am interested in a well written dive story by someone who HAS.

The book certainly fulfilled that.

Hello all,

A fair warning to anyone interested in reading Setting the Hook: A Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria.

Although Setting the Hook is concerned with technical diving and the Andrea Doria from start to finish, this is not your typical diving book. It is also a personal story of recognizing the changes that time makes to all of us and learning to deal with the inevitable loss of capability brought with the advance of age and circumstance. If you are interested exclusively in a diving book and you are curious about what it was like to dive the Andrea Doria in the early 1980s, then you might still find the read worthwhile. Otherwise, if you are only interested in a diving book with no greater message, then this book is probably not for you.

I appreciate all comments and critiques of Setting the Hook.

Cheers,
Peter Hunt
Author of Setting the Hook: A Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria
Setting the Hook, a Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria

mathauck, myself I could never spend 8 hours reading a book, the last and only book was for school, I read manuals if needed. Even when online I am making something to eat, filling tanks, a few house chores. I never understood someone sitting and reading a book when there is so much to do, a brief video and I'm good to go. when my wife put a movie on after 20 min's or so I'm off doing something else, A movie theater is a place to get white noise while sleeping for me.

mathauck, myself I could never spend 8 hours reading a book, the last and only book was for school, I read manuals if needed. Even when online I am making something to eat, filling tanks, a few house chores. I never understood someone sitting and reading a book when there is so much to do, a brief video and I'm good to go. when my wife put a movie on after 20 min's or so I'm off doing something else, A movie theater is a place to get white noise while sleeping for me.

Voodoogasman, you may relax. I strongly suspect that there a nary a soul here that considers you to be a man of great literary aptitude. Or a sagacious reader. Your diction is a clear marker to the contrary and confirms the inverse correlation between good reading and horrible proficiency in writing. :wink:

Cool. Will order a copy on Kindle. I am a sucker for old Doria stories.

Hello all,

A fair warning to anyone interested in reading Setting the Hook: A Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria.

Although Setting the Hook is concerned with technical diving and the Andrea Doria from start to finish, this is not your typical diving book. It is also a personal story of recognizing the changes that time makes to all of us and learning to deal with the inevitable loss of capability brought with the advance of age and circumstance. If you are interested exclusively in a diving book and you are curious about what it was like to dive the Andrea Doria in the early 1980s, then you might still find the read worthwhile. Otherwise, if you are only interested in a diving book with no greater message, then this book is probably not for you.

I appreciate all comments and critiques of Setting the Hook.

Cheers,
Peter Hunt
Author of Setting the Hook: A Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria
Setting the Hook, a Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria

Sounds good. I'm in. Justed added Setting the Hook to my amazon cart.

Just finished last night. I thought it was a great book. I enjoy NE wreck diving and all of the stories that go along with it. I would recommend to any diver. Stories can be a good learning tool, although experience is key.

Back
Top Bottom