Setting the Hook: A Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started the book today, and the narrative is definitely engaging. Like so many other small circulation books, it could have used a much better proofreader.

There seems to be difference between your copy, and the copy reviewed: Amazon.com: Sealab: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor (9780743247450): Ben Hellwarth: Books

With that said, I don't believe any book can top the first printing of the IANTD Technical Diving Encyclopedia; the book was in a class of its own.

Just finished this book and I really enjoyed it. Unlike most other scuba books, this book is more about the lifestyle of diving and less about the diving itself. I found myself relating very well to the author's concerns about the expense of diving and the toll on family life. I always tell people that my primary hobby is diving yet I never seem to find the time to actually do it. Like the author, I'm sliding into middle age and my dreams of extensive diving are tempered by the realities of adult family life and this book does a nice job of explaining the inevitable lifestyle collision.

I work as an airline pilot for my day (dry?) job and I'm impressed by Peter Hunt's literary skills. Most of the people I work with are very technically minded 'math and science' types who would be hard pressed to string together a coherent paragraph much less a full length book. I'd put myself in that category as well. The author puts a very human spin on the narrative which represents a level of introspection most pilot types do not have.... I definitely recommend this book.

Eight critical review agencies and dive magazines have reviewed Setting the Hook. Here are brief excerpts from each one:

A deep-sea diver explores shipwrecks and his own character in this gripping scuba memoir…Hunt’s taut scenes and meticulous prose will have readers holding their breath, but his saga probes hidden depths as well. -Kirkus Reviews

…fascinating read of true adventure, very much recommended. -The Midwest Book Review

"Setting the Hook" is excellently written, well structured, and superbly proofed…fully delivered on the diving, adventure and technical fronts, but it was the human angle of the author's very personal journey that elevates this much recommended book. -C. H.Blickenstorfer, scubadiverinfo.com

…a book truly meant for everyone…heart felt and inspiring story of diving, the fragility of life, and a reflection on our humanity.-Dive News Network Media Group, publishers of five regional print and electronic magazines

Peter Hunt’s engaging memoir…offers a thoughtful perspective of America’s wreck diving scene. -Simon Rogerson, British SubAqua Club (BSAC) SCUBA Magazine

…a story of camaraderie, conflict, drama, success and failure in early technical diving, and also one man's personal struggle…thought-provoking…highly recommended.-Jesper Kjøller, DYK–The Scandinavian Dive Magazines

…the story of a wreck diving pioneer and the personal story of a man…Setting the Hook is a great read…well written…a great diving book, but an even better people book. -Charles George,Wreck Diving Magazine

…enthralling personal account…unique perspective…gripping subplot...-Undercurrent Magazine, Editor’s Pick of the month

For the full reviews, please go to:

Full reviews/links

Thank you all and Merry Christmas!

Peter Hunt
Setting the Hook, a Diver's Return to the Andrea Doria
http://www.facebook.com/SettingtheHook

Just finished reading it. Very good book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom