Setting up a fibre optic cable question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeinman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Guys,

I have a Fuji F30 with the appropriate underwater housing and external flash setup and I have just bought a fibre optic cable but as no instructions come with it I feel a little lost on a couple of points......
1. fibre optic cable has a sticky pad at one end to adhere to the camera housing but just a bare cable on the other end so how does it stay in place?
2. Do I leave the built in flash uncovered ( as normal ) or do I black this off somehow so that only the external strobe fires?

Please help !!!!

Luke.

Hi Dave,

The strobe is a Fuji SS-120N Slave strobe, the housing does have a small port to put the bare fo cable into but it just falls out with any sort of pressure, seems to me that there should be some sort of rubber grommet or something to hold it in place.

????????????????

I put some heat shrink around my FO cables to make them a better fit into the ports.

The socket for the slave port window on your strobe probably has a tapered wall, about 2 degrees. You need a plug that fits the socket and is tapered the same way. Try looking for plastic stock at a hobby or crafts store. You might also be able to use a piece from a small brush handle or pen barrel.

Once you have the plug shaped correctly, glue the end of the FO cable securely through the center of the plug. The plug should wedge fit into the socket securely, but still be removable. I don't know if your FO cable is sealed. If it isn't, then you can trim it flush with a razor blade or xacto knifeif you get some glue on it.

Position the mounting pad of the FO cable on your housing, centered over where the camera's strobe is located.

With a fiber optic cable, the camera's internal strobe triggers the external strobe. Do not block or turn off your camera's strobe. You may want to mask off the housing around the sides of the mounting pad. However keep the light path open between the strobe and the FO cable end. Black electrical tape works well. This can be applied to the inside of the camera housing to keep the tape dry.

Here's a web site with a review of your camera:

Fujifilm FinePix F30 Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

Also check out this sticky from the Tips and Techniques section:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ti...ng-good-photos-just-basic-camera-housing.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom