Setting up an Uwatec Aladin 2G (new diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wasabipanda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I am very, very sorry for this silly question... I am a newly certified diver (6 dives!) and just bought an Aladin 2G dive computer. I have read the manual, but I am still unsure about my settings. I will not be doing any high altitude diving, will be using 21% O2, and will be doing no-decompression diving. After setting up the gas mixture (21%), salt/fresh water, and making sure the computer turns on in water, is there anything else I need to set up before diving? For Algorithm, do I use Deco?

Again, I'm sorry for the silly questions. I went diving with the 2G Saturday and noticed a DESAT icon after my dive. While waiting for my next dive, I did not see any no-fly indicator or any message regarding how much my surface interval should be before diving again. Because of this, I have a feeling I did not properly set up my 2G before diving. Any help at all would be appreciated--thank you for your patience!

I would recommend you purchase an iRDA (dongle) and use the software that was included with your computer. It is much easier an intuitive than cycling through buttons to get the screen menus. If your using a Mac you will need to download JTRAK from ScubaPro website.

Hey,
No worries, your 2G is setup properly. Note, that computer can provide you with your current surface interval, but it does not give you any recommendation what your surface interval should be. That is entirely up to your level of conservatism. (Follow the best practices and your level of education). However, the dive planner can give you some numbers (depth and time), related for you next dive, based on your current surface interval.
As for no-fly icon, it may not appear if you did a short/shallow dive.
DESAT - means desaturation time, the theoretical time, when all nitrogen accumulated in previous dive(s) will leave your body. Hope it helps.

You bought a great computer that will take you as far as you want your diving to go.

DSS makes a really nice bungee mount for that computer. Plus for one of the top compasses, the SK7. I use both of their mounts and have the same computer as you. CLICKY

Welcome to Scubaboard :) Make sure to check into our local Nor-Cal forum.

I've just ordered a USB-to-Infrared adapter from monoprice dot com

My concern was Windows 7 drivers, which this device seems to support.
I'll let you know if it works with Aladin 2G.

I ran an iRda from a windows 7 computer . . .it was 64-bit, too. It will work if you bought one that will work with Vista, even.

Thank you for the advice, everyone! Whew, I'm glad to hear my 2G is set up properly. I will definitely look into getting the iRDA cable.

pragmatic: I was diving in an area where visibility wasn't ideal (3 ft.), we only got to about 25 ft. deep or so. For the no-fly icon to appear, does my dive need to be deeper than that? I'm assuming so...

Thanks all!

Peter_C: Thank you for the warm welcome! :) I totally agree with you on the DSS bungee mount--that's what my LDS set me up with for my 2G. The 2G watch mount was practically the size of my fist, if not bigger.

Sorry, I have one more question. Does anyone use the PDIS function? Does this only apply to deeper dives?

The no-fly icon would appear when you dive deep/long enough for it to appear :) I'd recomend you calling UWATEC tec support and ask them all the question of interest. These guys are willing to explain you every single feature of your computer. They even provided me some screen protectors for free, when I told them that I may remove the protector screen.
As for PDIS, it, along with microbulb levels, just bring some extra conservatism to your diving. You can turn it on and it would ask you to complete extra 2 min stop at some depth. If you are doing recretional diving, you do not actually need to turn on any of these features. Just stay with the depth/time limits and do your safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom