Setting up dual Strobes TTL v TTL + Manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think what Larry says would work if you are able to control the strobe to a setting that is very near to the camera TTL. Inon does that with the external auto mode one strobe uses the camera TTL and the other the light meter on the strobe itself. If you keep the apertures within certain limits you can influence shadows. In practice when you shoot manual this is harder to achieve as results will depend on distance. In theory it can be achieved in practice it's a bit hard as you need to be within a a stop from what the TTL flash is determining in order to avoid very hard shadows or overexposure
In any case to do this the strobe need to be the predominant source of light so you wouldn't want the camera to aim for a balanced exposure. The internal strobe TTL will work on his own calculation when you fire the shot regardless of everything

Good luck with the waves, we were shut out a couple of days at Villa Markisa; too big waves to get to the boats.
Bill

Bill talk about a lucky bastard. The day I got there it all calmed down and I had a great weeks diving. Was too busy to check the TTL+Manual problem.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2015 at 12:52 AM ----------

I think what Larry says would work if you are able to control the strobe to a setting that is very near to the camera TTL. Inon does that with the external auto mode one strobe uses the camera TTL and the other the light meter on the strobe itself. If you keep the apertures within certain limits you can influence shadows. In practice when you shoot manual this is harder to achieve as results will depend on distance. In theory it can be achieved in practice it's a bit hard as you need to be within a a stop from what the TTL flash is determining in order to avoid very hard shadows or overexposure
In any case to do this the strobe need to be the predominant source of light so you wouldn't want the camera to aim for a balanced exposure. The internal strobe TTL will work on his own calculation when you fire the shot regardless of everything

Thanks for this Interceptor. I will try it out but this trip was too good to waste time farting around with the flashes. The new YS-D1 was excellent and I noticed the additional output compared to my Inon Z240 I flooded in January.

I think I know what Ardy is talking about with just using TTL. With either my Oly E-PL3 and E-M1 set to fill flash and two YS-D1 strobes set to TTL, if it's a bright day, the TTL results from the strobes are often underexposed.

Back
Top Bottom