Setting up new regs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go real light on silicone but I have seen lots of problems with not using silicone on the valve to tank ring. When I first started working as a shop monkey, I had to change all the o rings on about 20 tanks and didn't use any grease, just spit... well we had lot's of little bubbles.

Thanks for the info guys and hello to a fellow RVA diver...

Aaron

All the OP asked was if he could install and assemble his new regulator. The answer is yes.

N

All the OP asked was if he could install and assemble his new regulator. The answer is yes.

N

I don't remember reading anywhere anybody telling him he couldn't. It was merely pointed out that without a few specialty tools he was at the mercy of the $10-15.00 dollar (if that) person in the factory's attention to detail in the setting of the factory settings. As it was stated, "it should breath", the question is how well?
That's all. If you're going to work on your own gear,(which I have no problem with, heck, I did it before I owned a shop.) you should invest in some specialty tools. Is there something wrong in letting someone know what they could possibly run into, rather than just saying," Yep, sure can." ? Seems he is asking a question to get an informed answer, if not, he probably would not have asked it. So, if I put too much into my answer, I take it all back.

Yep, sure can!:D
Joe

After reading the original post again, I still missed the part where he asked which tools to, or not to use. He merely asked if he could put the components together himself. So, without knowing him personally, and knowing his mechanical skills. I guess the first reply should have been, "not sure, can you?" Now yes, the process is very simple, but, if the question even needed asked. HMMMM? This post is not to be intended that the OP is incapable, but rather to p-oint out the fact that he was wondering what could be expected? Some people give simplistic answers, some don't. Sorry you frelt the need to slam on your LDS, but some LDS give their customers a proffessional product. Some don't. Your choice to choose.:confused:
Joe

Sure he can. If he has an appropriate wrench and allen key to take out a plug or two, it's certainly possible.

However it's not really the right question. The right question is "I just bought a new regulator. Is it as good as it could be, and does it need any service?"

The answer to that question is "You should take it to a good service department to have it checked and adjusted"

Will the OP die if he doesn't? Probably not. However many people have never experienced a properly adjusted regulator and don't know that breathing on SCUBA can be as easy as sitting on a park bench, and doesn't have to feel like sucking a golf-ball through a garden hose. Even if it was an internet sale and the shop charged the OP $40 to take a look, it's still worth it.

There are also other benefits, such as having the tech notice that there's a metal shaving where it doesn't belong, or maybe an o-ring from an old inflater hose isn't quite right.

Maybe I'm spoiled by having an excellent service department, but I'd never dive a new or recently serviced reg that hasn't been checked first and run on the flow-bench.

Terry

First of all, the "tech" is likely last week mowing yards for a living, there is no "Regulator Certification" and there is no government or any sort of license or proof or rating or peer approved instruction that the guy you hand your regulator to knows anything more about them than the 12yo who lives across the street from you. A PadI regulator diploma or similar does nothing for me, sorry.

You guys make to much of all this, I am calling BS on all of it. I tell you what, if you cannot install the spg and octopus hoses into your new regulator, please turn in your man card.

I am sorry that I mentioned the tool thing or any of that. Go ahead take the thing to the dive shop and watch the "tech" grip it with pliers and do what you could have done and then insult you by charging you for it.

BTW, I don't "slam" on my LDS, I don't have a LDS nor do I belong to one, it is a retail store like Target or Best Buy, not a club.

And what is all of this using "spit" to lubricate O rings, not only amI calling BS but I calling that just plan unprofessional.

To the OP, we got "spit" recommended to install your LP/HP hoses, some of these "spit" users are the "techs" they recommend you using. Now, let me ask you this, you wanna trust a guy that works on turbine engines for an opinion or a guy that uses "spit" --rhetorical question--no need to answer.

Bye.

N, I don't use "spit" on anything

First of all, the "tech" is likely last week mowing yards for a living, there is no "Regulator Certification" and there is no government or any sort of license or proof or rating or peer approved instruction that the guy you hand your regulator to knows anything more about them than the 12yo who lives across the street from you.

Maybe your tech mowed lawns last week. Mine has been servicing SCUBAPro since J-Valves were popular and Atomic since the company was founded.

You need a narrower brush to paint the industry with.

Terry

A PadI regulator diploma or similar does nothing for me, sorry.

First off, PADI doesn't have a tech class, the gear specialty gives a very brief understanding of how your gear works, NOT how to service it, but how you should maintain it for prolonged life. So, as far as a PADI gear specialty, YOUR RIGHT, it doesn't mean a whole lot for a service tech status. You get them from the manufacturer, and as for that,that only makes you an authorized tech. You could be a tech without those courses, it's just harder to get authorized parts.

You guys make to much of all this, I am calling BS on all of it. I tell you what, if you cannot install the spg and octopus hoses into your new regulator, please turn in your man card.

I don't think anyone made to much of anything, other than some making to little of it. Here's a question for you, Do you bench test your regs? Or, do you just put them together and breath the $h@t out of them?

I am sorry that I mentioned the tool thing or any of that. Go ahead take the thing to the dive shop and watch the "tech" grip it with pliers and do what you could have done and then insult you by charging you for it.

Do I detect a hint of pout?

And what is all of this using "spit" to lubricate O rings, not only amI calling BS but I calling that just plan unprofessional.

To the OP, we got "spit" recommended to install your LP/HP hoses, some of these "spit" users are the "techs" they recommend you using. Now, let me ask you this, you wanna trust a guy that works on turbine engines for an opinion or a guy that uses "spit" --rhetorical question--no need to answer.

Now I'm with you on the fact of using spit may be a little unprofessional, but it would be better than over tightening a DRY o-ring. Heck, I always have cristo-lube in my save a dive kit, that is unless someone has put a grab on it!

N, I don't use "spit" on anything

I'm not gonna touch that one.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom