Setting up ScubaPro MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to consider that I haven't seen mentioned is that the "swivel down" orientation does make it a bit more difficult to execute a "reach recovery" of the 2nd stage. If you convert to swivel down, I recommend you practice a few times to make sure you retrain your sense of "touch." I didn't pay attention to the dive count of the OP, so consider this post to be aimed at any unseasoned divers that happen to read this thread.

One thing to consider that I haven't seen mentioned is that the "swivel down" orientation does make it a bit more difficult to execute a "reach recovery" of the 2nd stage. If you convert to swivel down, I recommend you practice a few times to make sure you retrain your sense of "touch." I didn't pay attention to the dive count of the OP, so consider this post to be aimed at any unseasoned divers that happen to read this thread.

I can definitely see that when I used a forty inch hose under my arm. Good point.

I'm presently using a 66 inch hose routed under my right arm, across the chest to left shoulder, behind my head and over my right shoulder to my mouth. HOG. For me to lose the second stage I would have to be head down and in a fetal position. Even then it would fall in front of me.

then that defeated th point of a swivel, when I turn my head to the right it torques the reg in my mouth in a weird way.... my NON swivel old reg didn't do that, so my reg with a swivel shuold noth either, it should move FREELY as I turn my head so that i NEVER feel it pull or push.....

What brand, model and style was your old reg?

Assuming that you are using a standard 26"-30" hose on your primary, a super flexible (Miflex type) hose might solve your problem.

then that defeated th point of a swivel, when I turn my head to the right it torques the reg in my mouth in a weird way....

It sounds like your primary 2nd stage hose is a little too long.....(or about 2 1/2 feet too short) but first, about the swivel, what happens is that the LP inflator hose, if it's a little long, tends to rotate the turret so that it pushes the primary 2nd port forward. That basically points the hose more towards your head, with less of a sideways "loop", but it also means you might find a shorter hose more comfortable.

Lots of people don't realize that the turret is not going to move much when the whole set up is connected because you've got three hoses more-or-less keeping it in place. In the dive shop it sure looks nice, (hardly a coincidence) because you've only got one hose attached to the turret. It's really common for a LP inflator hose to be a few inches too long, and that extra length really pushes on the turret.

The good news is, you can consider this to be a message from the dive gods that it's time to try a modified long hose. Get a five foot hose for your primary, a 22" (or 24") hose for your octo, and rout the primary out the end port of the turret, pointing it down and to your right side a bit, so it goes under your arm, across your chest, around behind your head, just like Splitlip described. Put your octo on the short hose, make a bungie necklace for it (there are dozens of websites that show how as well as a very pedantic, multi-page thread arguing the details), and you'll never again have to practice this nutty "reg recovery" bit where your 2nd stage can get lost behind your back while your octo is dangling who-knows-where. You'll find air sharing to be WAY more comfortable, and the push-pull of a short primary hose will be a thing of the past.

The hogarthian technical divers really have this one figured out; the long hose is more practical, comfortable, and undoubtedly safer in an emergency. The only difference (hence 'modifed' long hose) is that you'll use a 5 ft hose, or 5'6" as Splitlip does, instead of the 7' hose used by cave divers. They need the extra length to travel single file while air sharing through tight restricted areas, and they rout the extra hose length around a piece of gear you're not using.

Try this set up, you'll love it, and as a bonus, then you too can feel a little superior to the throngs of uninformed masses still using the PADI mess of loops and plastic thingies.

Lots of people don't realize that the turret is not going to move much when the whole set up is connected because you've got three hoses more-or-less keeping it in place. In the dive shop it sure looks nice, (hardly a coincidence) because you've only got one hose attached to the turret. It's really common for a LP inflator hose to be a few inches too long, and that extra length really pushes on the turret.

Hmm, i will look into your recommendations.. right now i dove with the turret up today, and while i completely agree with your above statement i found much more movement this way...I put the LPI to the third LP port ( forth LP plugged - 2d, octo, lpi, plugged) and now notice that nothing is " forced" forward... only issue? It does tend to hit the back of my head.. My wide neoprene mask strap helps, but i also think adjusting my bc better and slightly lowering my tank a tad more can alleviate this.... adjustments/changes will never end I believe... my old reg was a sherwood maximus.. it went under the arm, i had an air2, and an Air Integrated transmitter computer.... that setup is surely missed....

Anyone heard of a neoprene "cover" that installs over the mk25 while using? ( third party product ) I have searched but must be looking up the wrong "keywords" cant find anything...

AND I'VE SEEN MENTION OF IT BEFORE....

Anyone heard of a neoprene "cover" that installs over the mk25 while using? ( third party product ) I have searched but must be looking up the wrong "keywords" cant find anything...

AND I'VE SEEN MENTION OF IT BEFORE....

Not sure on that one Tony, but the few times I get a "head-bump" from my first stage, my trusty old "Slap Strap" did serve the same purpose....

Something that covers the ambient chamber holes in the first stage would not be good, as water has to have free access to the ambient chamber to compensate for depth. There's no rule against orienting the turret up, but there's really no need, just solve the hose routing and length issue. You really should consider the 5ft hose.

If that doesn't appeal to you, buy one of the miflex or other flexible hoses.

Back
Top Bottom