Settings feedback for Whale Shark snorkel please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConchyJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
We are heading to Cozumel in July. We are hopeful that Whale Sharks will still be around, and have booked a snorkel trip over to Isla Mujeres.

So what do I use? I have an 8mm Panasonic and Zen 100mm dome. I also have the Oly port and can use the 12-50mm along with the custom zoom ring for it.

I am also looking for camera settings as well.

Thanks for any feedback!

Hi Bob

Go with the fisheye. 12mm will be way too long if you want to get the entire shark. You can get right close to these and the fisheye would be spectatular. The only zooms good for this is the 7-14 Pana or the 9-18 Oly.

This is non-strobe photography freediving in shallow water so it will be bright and lighting might change rapidly depending on where you are pointing your camera and not much time for manual adjustments. Contrary to my usual practice, I would consider going auto exposure aperture priority, and ISO 400-800 for high shutter speeds. Another advantage of the fisheye is that you so not need to stop down as far for huge depth of field so you can shoot at even higher shutter speeds.

What operators are you using for your whale shark diving? Are you private chartering or just going on a regular tour boat?

We are doing a private charter with Scorpio. We have 8 already and would have 10 if you and M came!

OK, I was leaning towards Fisheye, so I will do that. Aperture priority it is. My hope is to spend some time the day before snorkeling with the camera, and take reference shots and study them to see what to expect. So maybe enough aperture to keep the shutter around 250th?

What dates are you there? How many days are you chartering for the sharks?

Will everyone get a long time in the water, or does a limited number of divers have to cycle in and out in 20 minute sets. I have heard that often you hardly get any time in the water comprared to the time sitting on the boat.

Let me know.

Also, you should have no trouble getting 1/250 if you are going fisheye, where you probably will never need to stop down more than F8. Might even get much higher, if you go to 400 or 800, which is still very clean with the OMD.

We leave the 20th and come back the 27th. Staying at the Sabor Sunscape in Cozumel. Diving mostly with Palancar. We are flying into Cancun and taking a limo to the Cozumel ferry dock. Flights were much cheaper into Cancun.

We are going out Sunday, and if it is successful, we will go back sometime during the week.

My choice would also be the Panasonic 7-14 or the 8 fisheye.

When I do Digital Fiesta in April I always fly Jet Blue into Cancun from Ft Laud. They give you 50 lbs. for checked bags and the first bag is free. Unlike sprit they also give you free carryon bags. I also take the bus ( A/C and about $10.00) from the air port to Playa Del Carmen, the ferry port is only about 200 yards from the bus station.

Have a great time.

Phil Rudin

Thanks Phil! We are on Delta, so we get free bags as well. 2 bags with exactly 49 pounds of dive gear, trays, arms and clamps, and a few clothing items. I carry on a camera backpack with everything else, including my laptop, and sometimes a shoulder bag with extra stuff.

I only have the Pana 8mm so it will have to do. The 7-14 looks like a great lens, but at $959, it is a little too rich for my blood!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom