Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckedinri

Contributor
Reaction score
Tiny state in the northeast corner of the U. S. of
# of dives
Is the truth important to you? Have we in the diving community, as well as the general public been duped? Was artistic license employed, or was the “testimony of others altered to produce results that are at variance from the truth”?

After years of research, countless hours of interviews, checking and double-checking facts, and nearly six months of writing and editing to insure absolute accuracy, Gary Gentile, utilizing the volumes of research accumulated by Harold Moyers, has produced the whole story about the discovery, and subsequent identification of the U-869. In Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869, Mr. Gentile explains why the evidence does not support the circular run of the 869’s torpedo as its demise. He exposes the reader to witnesses that were seemingly ignored. Was it so that their recollections would not be at odds with the tale that the author of Shadow Divers was telling? In this latest work, Gary introduces the reader to participants in major events chronicled in Shadow Divers that are never mentioned. Was that not to detract from the “heroism” of the main characters?

Admittedly, Shadow Divers is a well written and interesting work, but is it a true story, or is it merely based on a true story? I submit to you that there is a world of difference between the two. If this subject interests you, then you owe it to yourself to read Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869 and decide for yourself.

Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869, should be available on Gary Gentile’s web site in the next several weeks, or ask for it at your local Dive Shop

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this hunt, no monetary or material interest. My only “connection” to this issue – other than my interest in things relating to diving and diving history – is that I know Gary Gentile. I know that his methodology of research and his quest for accuracy is without equal. If he tells you why or the way something occurred, he was either present at the time, or he thoroughly interviewed those that were. And, in many cases, he has the interviewee read what he wrote before publication to insure that his writing matches the intent of what was related to him.

wreckedinri:
Is the truth important to you? Have we in the diving community, as well as the general public been duped? Was artistic license employed, or was the “testimony of others altered to produce results that are at variance from the truth”?

After years of research, countless hours of interviews, checking and double-checking facts, and nearly six months of writing and editing to insure absolute accuracy, Gary Gentile, utilizing the volumes of research accumulated by Harold Moyers, has produced the whole story about the discovery, and subsequent identification of the U-869. In Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869, Mr. Gentile explains why the evidence does not support the circular run of the 869’s torpedo as its demise. He exposes the reader to witnesses that were seemingly ignored. Was it so that their recollections would not be at odds with the tale that the author of Shadow Divers was telling? In this latest work, Gary introduces the reader to participants in major events chronicled in Shadow Divers that are never mentioned. Was that not to detract from the “heroism” of the main characters?

Admittedly, Shadow Divers is a well written and interesting work, but is it a true story, or is it merely based on a true story? I submit to you that there is a world of difference between the two. If this subject interests you, then you owe it to yourself to read Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869 and decide for yourself.

Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869, should be available on Gary Gentile’s web site in the next several weeks, or ask for it at your local Dive Shop

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this hunt, no monetary or material interest. My only “connection” to this issue – other than my interest in things relating to diving and diving history – is that I know Gary Gentile. I know that his methodology of research and his quest for accuracy is without equal. If he tells you why or the way something occurred, he was either present at the time, or he thoroughly interviewed those that were. And, in many cases, he has the interviewee read what he wrote before publication to insure that his writing matches the intent of what was related to him.

I know Gary, Richie and John personally. I know this has been Brewing for some time now. This is sure to be a hornets nest with people on both sides. I will be following this one.

I'd love to read anything Gary puts out. Good stuff. However, if the only issue with the Shadow Divers account is the "circle runner theory", I think you are making much ado about nothing. While the book presents it as the "favored theory", they never once say it is conclusive and in fact present some issues with the theory. I'm sure as time goes on there will certainly be more light shed on the 869 sinking, and I look foward to hearing what Gary has dug up on it.

sounds like someone is not happy RObert Kurson didn't pick them to write
their version, and didnt' end up with a t.v. show

Gentile's an old timer, but i doubt his intentions here are really to "set the record
straight."

and having stuff like the entry you just wrote is not going to do anything
to help the perception that this is sour grapes.

wreckedinri:
Is the truth important to you? Have we in the diving community, as well as the general public been duped?

i would call this "sensationalism" ala geraldo rivera. and i would hardly
call favoring one disputed theory over another a "dupe."

Disclaimer: I have no dog in this hunt, no monetary or material interest.

ok, swell!

My only “connection” to this issue – other than my interest in things relating to diving and diving history – is that I know Gary Gentile. I know that his methodology of research and his quest for accuracy is without equal.

but i thought you just said ...

ah well

Is there new information relative to the discovery and identification of the sub? Does he dispute who figured out the identity of the sub? Or as Andy suggests is someone just not happy with the long term benefits?

hey lamont, nice link... ididn't know about that

it's no big deal to get your cause of sinking wrong. besides, that's not the point
of Shadow Divers anyway

they did id the wreck correctly, and took some great risks to do it

Most U Boat sinkings have some dispute about their cause...more so than other submarine sinkings for some reason...the reality is, we are never going to know what sunk her for sure.

My opinion of Gary Gentile just crashed really hard.

OK, I'm having a real tough time understanding the controversy here. John and Ritchie never claimed to solve the mystery, they just threw out their best theory. Now Gary comes along and digs up new info that makes better sense and publishes the latest theory. Why should any of these guys be disrespected? Is there some intentional falsification of the facts that I'm missing here? In my mind Gary's new discoveries in no way discredit the work that John and Ritchie did, and Gary's publication of the new info in no way indicates any bitterness or resentment. Unless of course I am missing some point. Feel free to enlighten me...

it's not the work that is a problem. i think anyone would welcome gary saying
"heyguys, look at this info. i found."

it's the attitude. read that first post. the diving community "has been duped."
wait until you read "the real story." things that the book "didn't tell you."

come on... please

read this (sounds like a press release to me):

He exposes the reader to witnesses that were seemingly ignored. Was it so that their recollections would not be at odds with the tale that the author of Shadow Divers was telling? In this latest work, Gary introduces the reader to participants in major events chronicled in Shadow Divers that are never mentioned. Was that not to detract from the “heroism” of the main characters?

what gives? why the accusatory tone? why the inplications of wrong-doing?

why not just say, "hey, here's another point of view on an interesting story.
hope you like it."

Shadow DIvers wasn't about gary, and he's pissed. that's the bottom line.
and his tone is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom