Shall I keep my camera switched on ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm using a canon G9 (with z240 strobe).

I'm not too keen on changing the battery whilst I'm on the boat hence the question. I do intend to change the battery before the afternoon dive. I guess I was wondering whether the battery would last 2 dives.

Thanks

Hi Richard
With the SP560uz I usually use, I turn it on before leaving the room and keep it on through the morning dives, usually two dives with 50~60 shots per dive, and have never felt the internal strobe charge cycle get slow. I'm not sure how different the power consumption may be compared to your cam, but I don't think it's much different.
As for the batteries, I use 2,700mAh AAs for both the camera and the strobes. This is more for my peace of mind than for better performance/endurance.

Kaza

Hi there,

With my G9, I set it to go to sleep after 30sec, and to turn off after a couple of minutes.
When it was new, I could easily use it for 3x70min dives, and I still can today. (i use external strobe with ttl cable sync, so no on board flash...)
With a brand new S90, I did 2x70min dives using the onboard flash, with the same power saving settings...

On my G10 "Power Saving" setting I set:
Auto Power Down to "Off"
Display Off "3 minutes" (which is the max. setting)

You can always turn the display off by pushing the "DISP" button anytime during the 3 minutes. I take enough photos so as to warrant leaving the monitor on. If I have a gap while swimming then I simply push the "DISP" button to turn off the monitor to save some battery power.

IMHO setting the Auto Power Down to "On" results in unnecessary wear and tear on the lens extending and retracting every 3 minutes if you don't push one of the controls during that 3 minute span. It also uses battery power versus leaving the lens extended in the "OFF" position.

Back
Top Bottom