Shallow and slow on the South side of Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice shots RoatanMan. For the record, I captured most of those animals on camera in Utila as well. The south shore of Utila is just like Roatan - but maybe better :wink: (I'm biased). I truly belive Utila dive shops shot themselves in the foot pushing the northside diving, where animals are hit -n- miss, versus the always great diving on the south shore. I had a boat last week begging for northside, and got upset as we moored on the south. I proceeded to find them 3 seahorses, 2 pipehorses, and 4 dragonettes within 10 minutes. They weren't impressed :rofl3:

Stout, I asked you to shore dive with me nearly everyday. Shame on you.

Reactions: Doc
....They weren't impressed :rofl3:

That's how it usually works out.

I call South side diving "advanced", not meaning that it is tough, hard to do, or dangerous.
It is just not for newer divers- those still excited by their 7th Lobster, their 12th Barracuda, their 9th Squirrel Fish.

South side diving gets a lot of bad press from the group described above.

Once divers get a good understanding of going slowly, being observant, and getting in close...
An entire new world opens up.

But yes, most are "not impressed".

IMG_0451.jpg

Nice images Doc. I'll be heading down with Dee's group in a few weeks. Getting way excited to try out my new (more than $75 dollar) camera and housing - doh. And strobe - double doh! Ah well, wish you and Pam were going to join us. I still think back on how much I learned about just quietly observing during that first trip to Cocoview going out with you almost every night.

Where did you find the Batfish?

On the bottom. You were busy screwing with your camera or one of three dive confusers.

It's a Lead Bipped Ratfish.

You can go with this
IMG_1128-1.jpg

Or you can go with that
IMG_4385.jpg

do dah dippity.

Smarty pants! :rofl3:

Why would I want an Olympus camera housing with a moisture muncher in it :D? I prefer to put cameras in my housings.

You haven't seen my rig with the dual strobes/arms/buoyancy floats and focus light yet have you? Even makes the Scion boys jealous. :blinking:

You haven't seen my rig with the dual strobes/arms/buoyancy floats and focus light yet have you? Even makes the Scion boys jealous. :blinking:

It's about the size of a Scion, right?

Picture34-8.png

The airline check-in desk people are eagerly awaiting your next appearance.

Say hello to my leeeetle friend.....

IMG_1162_2.jpg

Last edited:
Say, maybe we should state a "Show us your photos from Roatan" thread? Topside, underwater, makes no difference.

I'm buyin' me a new camera (new to me, anyway)

IMG_5189.jpg

Start your own thread. Or do you have anything exotic enough to take pix while above water?

Doc is still the only person I've ever dove with to whip out a magnifying glass underwater. It was on my 28th dive and no one in the 200 since then have done it.

Safe to say I learned more in that week of diving and chatting with him than in my 200 since as well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom