Shallow diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got lucky last week at SCC. Our assigned boat for the week just had 6 of us and we all got along really well. As a group, you can vote on which reefs to do then the DM is with you, and all is safe. Most people go to Cozumel to do the deep stuff...and I get that, I used to be one of those who didn't like my first dive unless it was one of the deeper reefs. But after 17 years of going to Cozumel, I have found that I would rather just keep it more shallow as for me it is more visually pleasing, more color, more fish.
From now on, we will probably ask the boat group the first day and see how everyone feels. But since it is just 2 of us, we have to go with the majority.

robin

I understand the majority rules thing...we dive Cozumel.. Was just asking if there are any ops that have a certain schedule they follow so that we could pick where we want to dive ( current and weather permitting). Thanks for all the replies

It is rare there's a significant difference of prevailing current.
It depends on the site. If the group going deeper goes through any swimthroughs they will be out of the current for a while as the divers on top of the wall drift on. Also, there can be quite a difference between the speed of the current along the bottom and that closer to the surface; last May on Cedral, my wife got low on air chasing critters with her camera so we had to ascend before the rest of the group. The farther up we went, the farther ahead of the group we went; by the time we got to the surface the group was far out of sight behind us. We came up a quarter mile or so downcurrent from where they came up. And yes, I deployed my SMB; I never leave the dock without it.

I understand d the effects of depth a diving. That being said look ar what depth is.....so you want to dive to 60 feet. Sounds deep but that is half the distance between 2 telephone poles. I can walk that holding my breath and not strain. I can even exhale the entire time and not struggle. Going deep is not scary as one may think. People hear I often dive to 80 feet.and are scared, I show them how far 80 feet is and they are floored. It's not that far down. Go forth and dive young grasshopper

It's a matter of preference, I have been diving 80+ feet, I prefer longer bottom time and the colors at 30-40. From several posts it sounds like I'm not the only one..the question was does any op have scheduled dive sites so one could pick the sites they want to go to...I haven't seen any option of doing a two tank dive with both shallow dives without private chartering...thanks

Back
Top Bottom