Shark Attack at Bellows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopaka:
Kind of depends on your frame of reference is, doesn't it? Might have been a mistake on the shark's end, but tell that to the guy having his leg chewed off.
I can understand your point, and yes, the poor man must have thought it was an attack but lets say a dog bites you once...we call that "getting bit by a dog", but if the dog mauls someone then it becomes an attack. I just wish we could give sharks the same opportunity to not be viewed as ruthless killers.

scubadrewvideo:
I can understand your point, and yes, the poor man must have thought it was an attack but lets say a dog bites you once...we call that "getting bit by a dog", but if the dog mauls someone then it becomes an attack. I just wish we could give sharks the same opportunity to not be viewed as ruthless killers.

While I agree that they should not be viewed as ruthless killers, it's an attack none the less.

He had a far greater chance of loosing his leg from a tourniquet than from the shark. Man I wish people were never tought those damn things! I spend a great deal of time UN teaching the use of tourniquets for most injuries.

The idea of tourniquets= loss limbs is of old thinking now in pre-hospital settings. What they have realized now is tourniquet can be left on for 120-150 minutes in the OR without significant nerve or muscle damage.

According to new PHTLS guidelines, the proper way to control bleeding is now
1) direct pressure
2) tourniquets

Elevation and pressure point is no longer recomended since they found it to be ineffective.

The proper way to apply a tourniqiet, is to place it as close to the injured area as possiable and cinch down until the bleeding stops. And wright time down on it.

Does dive agency teach trauma in rescue classes? If so it will be shortly that they update their curriculum. Im only AOW, but would like to continue to rescue.

In view of the contradictory recommendations regarding tourniquets usage, I took a look at the source materials --

October 2006 updates to PreHospital Trauma LifeSupport training materials by Nat'l Assoc of EMTs:

http://www.naemt.org/NR/rdonlyres/3...BF45DA7893/0/PHTLS6thCompendium2006Oct4th.pdf

page 12 of 40:
Code:
o Circulation
      • Hemorrhage control
              • Elevation and pressure points de-emphasized
                    o Elevation of an injured extremity may worsen injuries
                        (convert closed fracture to open)
                    o No data that elevation or pressure points improves
                        outcome of injured trauma patients
              • Tourniquets
                    o Used safely in operating rooms for years
                    o Documented efficacy in recent military applications
                    o Device can be a manufactured tourniquet, a blood
                       pressure cuff or a cravat tied into a “Spanish windlass”
                    o Applied just proximal to the site of hemorrhage, and
                       tightened until bleeding stops
                    o Mark time tourniquet applied on the tourniquet; leave the
                       site exposed for visual monitoring of hemorrhage
                    o Box note on sample tourniquet protocol[/quote]

and
page10:
o Circulation
�� Hemorrhage control:
• De-emphasizes elevation and pressure points
• Tourniquets recommended for extremity hemorrhage
uncontrollable by direct pressure or pressure dressing (see
Chapter 7: Shock)

Yep thats verbatim from PHTLS lol. Except I had to sit for the 8 hour refresher to get that info.haha

when I had surgery the doctor put a tourniquet on my leg and I have had full function of that leg. That surgery was 6-7 years ago.

I think I would have preferred to have someone tie it on instead of letting me bleed around the sharks. again, i haven't been in that situation so I don't know what I would want to happen.

Lopaka:
Whoa, was just out to the Mokoluas on my kayak a few days ago. Would have been an adrenalin rush to see a 8' tiger close aboard.

I've written elsewhere on the board about my encounter with a ~22' tiger shark back in 1971 while in an 18' double kayak three miles offshore in the Sea of Cortez. Yes, I know... that's bigger than the record, but it was independently judged by two people based on its length relative to the kayak. Local shrimp fishers were also very aware of it as it had taken several of their crewmen who slipped off the decks of the shrimp boats. The stare in its black eyes as it rolled to look at me before striking the bow of the kayak was very unnerving. I didn't save my underwear from that day.

teog:
The idea of tourniquets= loss limbs is of old thinking now in pre-hospital settings. What they have realized now is tourniquet can be left on for 120-150 minutes in the OR without significant nerve or muscle damage.
This is nothing "new". Tourniquets have been used in surgery for at least 37 years that I know of personally. However they are applied differently in surgery than in a field trauma situation. In surgery the extremity is exsanguinated(sp?) first then the tourniquet is inflated. As I recall this makes a difference as to the survivability of the limb, but it has been a long time since I was actively involved.

Wow, right in the middle of "Shark Week" too...

jbd:
This is nothing "new". Tourniquets have been used in surgery for at least 37 years that I know of personally. However they are applied differently in surgery than in a field trauma situation. In surgery the extremity is exsanguinated(sp?) first then the tourniquet is inflated. As I recall this makes a difference as to the survivability of the limb, but it has been a long time since I was actively involved.
I agree with this. It seems like EMS anyways, change things one way for 8-10 yearss, then they change it back to how it was prior. Its a visciuos cycle.lol

Wars and the treatment to trauma during always bring new ways to do things in pre-hospital setting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom