Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone familiar with these folks? there is video of this group harassing the OWTs at brothers and literally trying to provoke an attack. They claim to be shark "trainers". The video going around contains alarming behavior by this group

Shark academy:
Home

Is anyone familiar with these folks? there is video of this group harassing the OWTs at brothers and literally trying to provoke an attack. They claim to be shark "trainers". The video going around contains alarming behavior by this group

Shark academy:
Home

Which video?

Good grief. Put goobers like that around OWs and you get bites sooner or later. Period.

The one encounter I just had in Moorea, a little 5-footer commanded as much or more respect and caution than the 14-ft tiger earlier in the day that we nicknamed "Hurricane Miley."

Third post down by Fabio A.
. I can't seem to share the direct link to the video itself
Shark Photography Group

I'm not sure the diver who posted the video clip on Facebook understood what he was seeing, with his remarks about "shark trainers" attempting to "provoke an attack." He also makes reference to a shark chasing a "giant barracuda" -- which to me looked like a shark just appearing to move in the same direction as a normal-sized barracuda for a few seconds and then moving on a different path. But maybe something just got lost in the translation.

At any rate, there is definitely some context missing, because the sharks in the video clip are oceanic white tips (OWTs). OWTs have a distinctive way of moving around divers -- they routinely circle divers closely, they show overt interest in particular divers, and they make sudden and jerky turns. With pretty much any other shark species, such behavior would be alarming. With OWT, that's just how they roll.

I was diving at the Brothers islands last month, and in the pre-dive briefing, the Egyptian divemaster described OWTs as "curious and not shy" and instructed everyone that if an OWT got too close, we should push them away with our cameras, and hold our ground. Some of what was shown in the video seemed consistent with divers taking similar instructions to heart, perhaps excessively so, because some of the touching/prodding did seem gratuitous.

BTW, on last month's dive day at Brothers, I only saw a pair of OWTs at the end of my second dive, after I had taken off my scuba gear and camera and passed them up to the zodiac. As if on cue, two OWTs were suddenly under the zodiac and moving towards me. I made eye contact and the OWTs veered off, but they started to circle. I asked the boat tender for my camera, and he wisely refused; the divemaster said that being at the surface away from the island wall with OWTs circling and no scuba gear was not a good idea, and I reluctantly got out of the water, as I had to admit that they were right.

I'm not sure the diver who posted the video clip on Facebook understood what he was seeing, with his remarks about "shark trainers" attempting to "provoke an attack." He also makes reference to a shark chasing a "giant barracuda" -- which to me looked like a shark just appearing to move in the same direction as a normal-sized barracuda for a few seconds and then moving on a different path. But maybe something just got lost in the translation.

I suggest you read the comments of the owner of the dive operation. They fully intended to provoke and harass the OWTs.

There is plenty of previous talk in this thread about the behavior of OWTs. It isn't really necessary to regurgitate that.

I suggest you read the comments of the owner of the dive operation. They fully intended to provoke and harass the OWTs.

There is plenty of previous talk in this thread about the behavior of OWTs. It isn't really necessary to regurgitate that.

Where are the comments from the owner?

Back
Top Bottom