Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see it differently. That shark was testing the risk/reward. Certainly hungry. It's a big ocean, it could leave whenever it wanted to. Those divers did not display any sort of alpha dominance and the shark figured it out, got to the divers vulnerable spot, and went for the first debilitating bite. I assume the divers got out of the water quickly, but had they not, that shark would have ate him eventually.

One thing I've learned diving with sharks is you keep your eyes on them, your body facing and swimming toward them and when a white, oceanic, big mako, big tiger or any apex species shows up in a pack and doesn't leave, they are interested in you and it's time to get out of the water.

Yep only mistake that diver made was not turning and keeping eye contact. Well maybe also backing off earlier when he saw shark being crazy

Hi @InTheDrink

Please tell us what you think the sharks' behavior was linked to or caused by.

I was at Brothers for 8 dives at the beginning of May, 2016, was not lucky enough to see any Oceanic Whitetips

Edit: I see you responded to my question, above. Was food waste being discharged from the boat(s)?

OK cant comment on this attack as wasn't personal witness, was 1km away on small brother getting a little too much attention myself. But know first and second hand accounts etc.

My feeling is that rather than taking organic matter out by rhib late at night 1km away trying to do some more eco friendly they have accidentally chummed the water. I could be wrong and I am not making a statement altho I will be emaiing relevant bodies.

Normally OWT will cruise close up or far but typical relaxed and typically mostly horizontal. These were darting fast up down all over you and clearly over excited. Never seen it like that before. I spent a few months guiding with these sharks so have a little experience and this time they were acting proper crazy.

If the sharks were acting in an unusual manner, why did not the leader have the tourists group up and back themselves up against a wall. Being in an environment with the potential of a 3 dimensional attack is not desirable. If you back up against a wall or even go back to back to a diver, you only have to defend a hemisphere and can visualize the approaches and kick at the shark.

Good question. Against the reef the sharks don't normally come and if they do are calm. Same happened here. Divers close to reef were OK. Divers in blue or under the boat not so much.

On one occasion something was discharged from mid starboard of my liveaboard.i.e the kitchen. And sharks went from passive to mental. I knew to keep my distance but other divers didn't and I was waiting for a repeat.

I nearly always dive under the boat so my choice. I can't commend on other divers from other boats but have to speculate on experience/compency levels.

Sharks were clearly agitated and I do feel the guides should have got their guests out, like I did myself. Thought I was maybe being a wimp but seems for once was exercising good judgement. Suspect this may go legal.

If the sharks were acting in an unusual manner, why did not the leader have the tourists group up and back themselves up against a wall. Being in an environment with the potential of a 3 dimensional attack is not desirable. If you back up against a wall or even go back to back to a diver, you only have to defend a hemisphere and can visualize the approaches and kick at the shark.

And yes went back to back and pushed them off with fins camera etc
Kinda used to that but not to this degree. Other divers didn't have the experience even to realise their peril and I can't comment on the other guides not from my boat but think they should have been more cautious. It was obvious from the outset the sharks were not behaving normally. I had 25 mins with just one shark fully coming after me and took 4 go's to get back on boat.

Hi @InTheDrink

Please tell us what you think the sharks' behavior was linked to or caused by.

I was at Brothers for 8 dives at the beginning of May, 2016, was not lucky enough to see any Oceanic Whitetips

Edit: I see you responded to my question, above. Was food waste being discharged from the boat(s)?

Yes grinded up food was being discharged from the boat. I can't be 100% certain but it coincided with major change in shark behaviour. I believe as of this week this practice is now over

Sharks were clearly agitated

Probably a better description would be just plain ole hungry. I don't know about you, but when I walk into a house, like say my folks are cooking up a pot of our family pasta sauce, I have a tendency to go to the kitchen and investigate. I'll risk the hand slap to get a spoon into the pot before it's ready. :)

Longimanus, like you, are scavengers and always hungry. Love them but yeah gotta show them who's boss. Just a lot of divers don't know that. Or to bring a big **** off camera.

Yes grinded up food was being discharged from the boat. I can't be 100% certain but it coincided with major change in shark behaviour. I believe as of this week this practice is now over
Hi @InTheDrink

I was under the impression that the Red Sea was a designated special area and that discharge of food waste was prohibited. I may be wrong about this. Outside special areas, ground or comminuted food waste is supposed to be discharged at least 3 nautical miles from nearest land while the ship is en route. It seems like practice in the Red Sea may be different than this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom