Shark attacks on a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
When ever I mention that I'm going diving I have co-workers that express concern about sharks. Of course, sharks are scary predators, but on land if you're backpacking you might run into a bear (I have on numberous occassions) so it's essentially the same thing. I understand that a lot of shark attacks are on non-divers (surfers, etc.).

I'm wondering though, if I did see a shark, what would be the best course of action to take? Should I head down to the bottom and hang out until it's gone or get to the surface and back on the boat?

The day after I got my check-off dives, in Florida, a buddy took me diving for lobster. What a great experience for a new diver. When I was low on air my buddy just signaled for me to head up, alone. When I did my safety stop I felt like "fish bait" just hanging out by myself. Should I look up, look down, behind me, above me, below me?

What should I do if I see a sharK?

If you see one count yourself as lucky! I rarely see sharks and when I do it is special. They are In my limited experience harmless, if you don't antagonize them.

If you see one count yourself as lucky! I rarely see sharks abs when I do it is special. They are In my limited experience harmless, if you don't antagonize them.

+1.

Most shark attacks occur in low vis turbid water and are a case where the shark has to make a split second decision about whether a hand or foot is food or not.

Divers are very large noisy beasts that will scare most sharks.

Most attacks on divers are by nurse sharks, because the diver has molested the shark. Others are feeding related, as in the divers are spearfishing or baiting the sharks.

Really, sharks are nothing to worry about:D

Just treat a shark like you would a dog. Most times they may look at you and swim around you but usually just swim off. Its been my personal experience though that when I have come into contact with them they usually swim off real fast. as they come into visibility.

I have seen a nurse shark and as SeaDucer said the nurse shark will generally lay on the bottom and swim away when a person gets to close. However if they dont swim away they may feel threatend and attack for defensive reasons.

The only sharks to really pay extra concern too are bull sharks and great whites and tiger sharks. They have been know to be aggresive but to a diver in clear water this is very rare indeed.

Needless to say if you feel threatened or it just does not feel right dont take any irrational behaviors just stay calm and swim away from the perceived threat and you should be fine.

If you see one count yourself as lucky! I rarely see sharks and when I do it is special. They are In my limited experience harmless, if you don't antagonize them.

Sharks are generally wary of divers in the water. The few sharks that I have seen diving (excluding Nurse Sharks) have either been at a distance or have quickly swam away when the shark has seen us. Sharks are not the blood-thirsty monsters that are the stars of so many Hollywood movies.

Take a picture, of course. So rarely do I actually see one.

Don't chase them, don't feed them, just look at them from a respectful distance. Most sharks you will encounter have no interest in eating you. Those that attack humans usually do it because they are attracted to the scent of food being carried by the diver (i.e., spearfishers or divers who chum for sharks) or because of a mistaken identity (i.e. surfers can look like sea lions to a shark when seen in silhouette from underneath.) Mistaken identity usually does not happen to divers underwater.

Just treat a shark like you would a dog. Most times they may look at you and swim around you but usually just swim off. Its been my personal experience though that when I have come into contact with them they usually swim off real fast. as they come into visibility.

I have seen a nurse shark and as SeaDucer said the nurse shark will generally lay on the bottom and swim away when a person gets to close. However if they dont swim away they may feel threatend and attack for defensive reasons.

The only sharks to really pay extra concern too are bull sharks and great whites and tiger sharks. They have been know to be aggresive but to a diver in clear water this is very rare indeed.

Needless to say if you feel threatened or it just does not feel right dont take any irrational behaviors just stay calm and swim away from the perceived threat and you should be fine.

+1 here. Hard to state it any better.

A stray dog can be curious, but he will keep his distance. Wave a rare steak in front of him and he will not be as shy.

I get to spearfish off of the coast of Florida. I have seen lots and lots of sharks. ...or maybe it was the same two over and over...not sure. Most of the time they look very timid and don't want really want to approach. A couple of times when were were really successful shooting fish, we have seen them start cutting more abruptly in the water and coming in closer. We just slowly back away and give them their environment back. Then according to our pre-dive plan, when we reach our safety stop, my buddy holds my stringer of fish while I keep a lookout. :D I have never had one of these follow me up the anchor line.
http://photos.terrylowe.com/Dive-Vacations/Panama-City-Aug-2009/9703471_zBCqP#655847481_mGWvF-A-LB

I was bumped a couple times in knee-deep water while doing a shore exit from a night dive. I had cut my leg trying to walk through a "cut through" to deeper water on an earlier shore dive that day. It started bleeding again on the night dive. The combination of blood and poor visibility made me look like a tasty treat until it actually tasted me. I think the shrill girly screams spooked it off...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom