Shark Attacks on the Fall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing I can add to this thread is that it's very sad. I have a great appreciation for sharks, and to think that one day most of the significant shark species in the ocean will be killed off is just plain depressing.

I dunno.....I want to go do a shark dive. BUT, I live in Yuma, Arizona where we have two snakes of mention, the diamondback rattlesnake and the sidewinder rattlesnake. I have caught both. I take them across the river and deposit them on the California side of the Colorado River. Maybe that is a few less snakes I have to worry about while I am on the job outside.Let those guys try swimming back if they want to come home. And by the same token....well, if all the sharks get killed.....I guess I won't have to worry about getting eaten by a shark when I dive. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating killing sharks. I am just saying that I might enjoy the benefit of not being eaten alive, getting seasalt into my fresh open gashing wound.
Just a thought.

Joker11:
I dunno.....I want to go do a shark dive. BUT, I live in Yuma, Arizona where we have two snakes of mention, the diamondback rattlesnake and the sidewinder rattlesnake. I have caught both. I take them across the river and deposit them on the California side of the Colorado River. Maybe that is a few less snakes I have to worry about while I am on the job outside.Let those guys try swimming back if they want to come home. And by the same token....well, if all the sharks get killed.....I guess I won't have to worry about getting eaten by a shark when I dive. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating killing sharks. I am just saying that I might enjoy the benefit of not being eaten alive, getting seasalt into my fresh open gashing wound.
Just a thought.

You are displaying the misplaced phobia that is at the root of shark slaughter.
Sharks evolved over many millions of years without scuba divers, so to them we are complete aliens, we are not on their diet. When they detect us they mainly run away. Even people who have dived with Great Whites say how nervous the sharks are of humans. Every time I have swum at a shark it has backed off and that includes Bulls and Bronze Whalers.
Sharks kill a handful of people every year worldwide, very, very occasionally they attack a scuba diver. But you are far more likely to be struck by lightning on the day you win the lottery than suffer a shark attack. In the meantime we kill 100 million of them a year.
Sharks develop and breed very slowly. If sharks get perfect protection today their numbers will not return to normal in your lifetime or even in your children's lifetime. In the meantime we are eliminating the apex predator that ensures the health of the seas.

Remember Americans are far more likely to be killed by a vending machine than a shark, so watch out for those vending machines!!!

Bruciebabe,
I did say that I did not advocate killing sharks. Plus, I don't care what the chances of something happening are, they still may happen. I was just pointing out that getting eaten by a shark would not be my first choice for a demise.
I have no phobia or fear of sharks. I want to do a shark dive. My wife doesn't want me to, but I do. I want to do it for the thrill of seeing such a powerful beast up close and personal.
I appreciate your passion for preserving them and I don't do anything to endanger them myself. But let's be honest, if it's gotta be me or the shark that gets killed, I want it to be the shark.
Kinda off topic: Did you hear what those morons at PETA said about Steve Irwin? WOW.

Joker11:
Bruciebabe,

Kinda off topic: Did you hear what those morons at PETA said about Steve Irwin? WOW.

If you're talking about hte smae quote I saw, wow indeed. Particularly maleducated was the comparison to a "responsible conservationist like Cousteau" who much as I love him surely stands up no better and perhaps even worse than Irwin to their complaints.

Their comment was something to the effect of "Steve spent his life antagonizing and angering wild animals. He deserved what he got"
Yet, Steve has puchased a lot of land in the hopes of letting animals be free in their natural habitat. So I think he should have been praised by the PETA folks. I know...this is the wrong thread for this. I will let it die.

Hank49:
Interesting that the country with the most attacks is the US. Is this because all are documented? Or, that the US has more sharks because of environmental awareness? Or that there are more crazed surfers and swimmers going into sharky waters? Or that Americans taste better?

1. We document better because we don't rely on the victim to report it as opposed to the EMS team who stitches them up.
2. Per capita, we have the most people in the water
3. America faces an obesity problem which makes it entirely too tempting for the sharks. I mean, how else are they going to get a Big Mac?

In short, until McDonalds start shelling out for waterfront swim throughs, we are all in grave danger from the sharks.

Wow Joker... it took you 6 months to reply to what Brucie said? Had alot of time to think about what you wanted to say...:D

DIVMSTR.....well, I hadn't been on the board in that long. It's kind of tough sometimes. I get spurts of free time. I have two kids, a wife, a cat and still find time to go to work. That job gets in the way of more things than I can mention. If I win the lottery big time, I promise to come on here everyday and update my posts...hehehe. Speaking of...if I win the lottery I want to build a boat that counteracts the motion of the ocean so I can avoid seasickness. I must be one of the only people who gets sick every boat trip out. Bose did it with headphones and noise, I will do it with a boat in the ocean. Now all I have to do is play the lottery, which I maintain is a tax on people who are bad at math.

Joker11:
DIVMSTR.....well, I hadn't been on the board in that long. It's kind of tough sometimes. I get spurts of free time. I have two kids, a wife, a cat and still find time to go to work. That job gets in the way of more things than I can mention. If I win the lottery big time, I promise to come on here everyday and update my posts...hehehe. Speaking of...if I win the lottery I want to build a boat that counteracts the motion of the ocean so I can avoid seasickness. I must be one of the only people who gets sick every boat trip out. Bose did it with headphones and noise, I will do it with a boat in the ocean. Now all I have to do is play the lottery, which I maintain is a tax on people who are bad at math.

Just given ya a hard time bro...:D Word has it that I get seasick too..:wink:

Back
Top Bottom