Shark Bite Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris12day

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
No real information.

JUPITER, Fla. (CBS 12) — A spearfishing expedition ends with a possible shark bite tweeted Palm Beach County Fire Rescue Friday afternoon.
PBCFR responded to Love Street near the Square Grouper bar in Jupiter to treat the bitten diver.
Crews say the male victim reported being bitten on the hand by a shark. He was transported to a local hospital for treatment.
The diving company, called Shark Addicts, tells CBS12 that the shark bite happened 60 miles away from South Florida, in the Bahamas.

Report: Diver bitten by Shark in Bahamas, rides back to Jupiter

I didn't recall hearing of these folks so I did a quick search to find their website. It looks like they do free diving trips; I didn't see anything about scuba. I'm waiting to learn more...what species of shark involved, was their chumming or similar activity, was there shark feeding (be interesting to know that'd work with free-divers).

I'm curious as to how free diving changes the shark dive experience. I've read sharks know when you're looking at them, so at least with potentially dangerous species maintain eye contact. It's my understanding that as a broad conventional wisdom view, when facing a large potential predator (e.g.: bears), it may not be a good idea to appear to flee. Free divers can't 'stand their ground' for extended periods and they've got to head up for air.

Anyone done free diving shark dives? I'm curious see hear what free divers think of it.

Richard.

I'm curious as to how free diving changes the shark dive experience... when facing a large potential predator (e.g.: bears), it may not be a good idea to appear to flee. Free divers can't 'stand their ground' for extended periods and they've got to head up for air

That's a good point, I've always wondered if we were less likely to be bitten because of our bubbles (in which case I'd put off buying that rebreather) or un-seal-like equipment, but if it's simply that we don't sprint to the surface then that's really worth knowing.

Could just be the fish I guess but the big predator mindset - "Hey that looks tasty... what the heck IS that? Wait - where's it going?! Come back!! CHOMP!! Eww... rubbery..." - is a definite possibility.

I wouldn't call it provoked, as the shark is not defending itself from aggression, however it is inevitable due to the sharks nature as a predator. I spear, but I understand the sharks point of view, and try to minimize misunderstandings.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom