Shark bite Davis reef Fl keys(Monroe county sheriff’s website)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A 22-year-old male was airlifted by Trauma Star Friday to Jackson South Medical Center in Miami after he reportedly was bitten in the ankle or foot by a shark.

The subject was reportedly spearfishing near Davis Reef off Islamorada at approximately 11:30 a.m. when the incident occurred. The U.S. Coast Guard responded and transported the victim ashore to U.S. Coast Guard Station Islamorada. Islamorada Fire Rescue transported him to Founders Park where he was airlifted.

The subject was reportedly spearfishing near Davis Reef
The subject >> Ethan Wilder has been a Coast Guard member for two years.
I'd guess the call with his boss was an interesting conversation.

The subject >> Ethan Wilder has been a Coast Guard member for two years.
I'd guess the call with his boss was an interesting conversation.
There are areas that are not protected. I am not sure where this occurred

I saw a news article on this in the morning and they had a photo of his foot, and he got bit pretty good.

I saw a news article on this in the morning and they had a photo of his foot, and he got bit pretty good.
Plenty of puncture wounds from shark teeth or chunks missing?

Another Freedive Spearo bit..........
Marathon's viz is much different from Key Largo and on the shallow reefs it's 20ft viz many times. But the shark is after the fish,,,not the diver. In both incidents the buddy diver (ie safety diver in freediving protocol) is too far away to act when they are supposed to be directly above.

MARATHON, Fla. -- The survivor of a shark attack spoke out from his hospital bed on Sunday and recounted the moments when the predator came right at him with jaws wide open.

Kevin Blanco was spearfishing with his friends off the coast of Marathon, Florida when a shark latched onto his leg.

"It felt like I got hit by an F-150," Blanco said.

Monroe County body camera footage, obtained by WPLG, shows Blanco on a stretcher with EMTs attending to severe puncture wounds.

Blanco, an aspiring doctor, helped to save his own leg.

"I got on the boat, took off my weight belt, tied it across my on my leg as the tourniquet," Blanco said.

Another Freedive Spearo bit..........
Marathon's viz is much different from Key Largo and on the shallow reefs it's 20ft viz many times. But the shark is after the fish,,,not the diver. In both incidents the buddy diver (ie safety diver in freediving protocol) is too far away to act when they are supposed to be directly above.

MARATHON, Fla. -- The survivor of a shark attack spoke out from his hospital bed on Sunday and recounted the moments when the predator came right at him with jaws wide open.

Kevin Blanco was spearfishing with his friends off the coast of Marathon, Florida when a shark latched onto his leg.

"It felt like I got hit by an F-150," Blanco said.

Monroe County body camera footage, obtained by WPLG, shows Blanco on a stretcher with EMTs attending to severe puncture wounds.

Blanco, an aspiring doctor, helped to save his own leg.

"I got on the boat, took off my weight belt, tied it across my on my leg as the tourniquet," Blanco said.
what exactly do you expect the buddy diver to do in order to "act" when a shark decides to attack?

what exactly do you expect the buddy diver to do in order to "act" when a shark decides to attack?
The safety diver directly above is looking down watching for shallow water blackout signs & trouble. If he sees the shark following the shooting diver up, he's prepared to dive down and intercept it while the shooting diver gets to the surface and a breath. I don't have the exact details on this bite but almost all of them occur as the diver is approaching or at the surface and not looking for the threat. With open circuit, I've got plenty of time to swim back towards the approaching shark and back it off since I've got plenty of air and options. Freedive spearing is very difficult.

yeah having a good buddy can help with being aware of sharks and getting them to back off. However, sometimes sharks are too fast and unpredictable to intervene for a buddy, even if you are being attentive and positioning yourself well (above the diver, or even diving down to meet them if that seems beneficial).

Was freediving 2 days ago and my buddy and I each had a fish in our hands at the surface. I look down and see a big shark 15 ft down. In a moment it moves closer and I can see stripes and it is now at the surface in 30 ft vis. Yell to my buddy who was unaware and we call the boat immediately. 2 heads are better than one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom