Shark cage in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sumfingwong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

I started another thread about diving in maui. I will be there Oct 9 to 22 for my wedding. Some friends and I are interested in doing the shark cage adventure. All my searches led me to an outfit on Oahu. A co-worker was there 2 months ago for his wedding, and he mentioned he saw a shark cage adventure. I guess his zipline tour guide said its available on maui.

Does anybody know of this?

I am hoping to get over my fear of sharks doing the shark cage (if available) and diving the shark tank at the Maui aquarium.

Thanks all!

Maui County is a control freak! :rofl3:

Back when, or maybe even before, Oahu went nuts over the Hawaii Kai shark cage proposal, Maui County passed legislation prohibiting any company from "launching" such "shark tour" business from any Maui launch (or words to that effect).

In fact, the wording almost makes it illegal for any commercial dive guide to swim in the direction of a shark, anywhere in Maui County. :shakehead:

[c]
P10101414.jpg
[/c]

sumfingwong, does your (new) wife also dive? My GF will be.

I'm in Maui starting Oct 8, and will be diving that Sun/Mon for sure.
Perhaps we can meet up.

See my posts in the Hawaii forums.

Also, trust Halemanō...I am!

Last edited:
No Shark Cages here on Maui. And Halemano is correct. The county council discussed some ridiculous rules about shark diving. I don't remember what the final outcome was.

I do recall "uncle what's his name" questioning the local dive businesses for even allowing women to enter the water while on their menstrual cycle. He was suggesting that we prescreen our female clients before we allow them to dive because it could easily upset the sharks natural behavior. He is a local respected authority on the subject by the way....:depressed:

I'm also a frequent Maui traveler, the last time I was there I tried contacting the dive op in Oahu and couldn't get anyone to return my call. Anyway, if you wanted to do the cage dive just jump on an interisland flight and go to Oahu for the day. I don't think the airfare for interisland is expensive at all, or atleast it wasn't in June.

Airfare from Maui to Oahu is close to $180 bucks R/T. Plus cab fare (just from the Honolulu airport to Waikiki is about $40 bucks each way) and/or parking. Then you gotta get the boat trip, lunch, tips, souvenirs, etc. It could be well over a $600 day for two people... might as well get a room and at least stay the night!

I have done the shark cage off Haleiwa and I hope to do it again. It is not a dive; the cage floats on the surface and when you are in it you use your snorkel, but not your fins. It is over 3 miles off shore, the water is ~300' deep, the current goes nowhere near any popular surf break or beach and there is only rarely any sharks that divers would see on a normal dive.

:coffee:

halemanō;6067017:
there is only rarely any sharks that divers would see on a normal dive.
What do you see? Oceanic whitetips? Tigers? Nothing?

Hawaii Shark Encounters:
Galapagos Shark Carcharinus Galapagensis
Reaching ten feet in length and weighing as much as 400 pounds, this shark is known as an aggressive and dangerous shark. We believe that this classification is a little exaggerated due to a behavior that is very bold and very curious. We see predominately males and they come very close, as in right-against-the-cage close. These sharks can be seen any time of year but during spring and early summer they are very numerous. There isn't much more excitement than being in a cage completely surrounded by these awesome animals.

Sandbar Shark Carcharinus Plumbeus
The sandbar shark is a common shark with an average size of 4-6 feet and a maximum size of almost 8 feet. These quick and agile sharks often swarm around the boat and cage. Our most consistent visitor, the sandbars can be bet upon to show up almost immediately after we do.

Tiger Shark Galeocerdo Cuvier
A very rare encounter that happens just a couple times a year. When they do come, this notorious shark is amazingly camera shy. This photo and the other tiger photos on the gallery page were a very lucky combination of being in the right place at the right time!

Common Hawaii Sharks, Hawaii Shark Encounters

I have gone twice and did not see any Tiger. There are probably less than annual sightings of a handful of other sharks, including Gray Reef and Hammerhead that divers might see. :idk:

You could consider booking a Molokai charter with Lahaina Divers. They regularly see many sharks on that trip, usually Hammerhead and Gallapagos as well as Greys. If you really only have 0-24 dives (like your profile states) you'd have to discuss with them if you have enough experience for the charter though.

During our last trip to Maui (about a month go), we saw Greys, White Tips, and a Hammerhead. Of course the White Tip sightings are what I'd consider normal for diving Molokini and S. Maui. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom