Shark cage in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemanō;6067064:
Common Hawaii Sharks, Hawaii Shark Encounters

I have gone twice and did not see any Tiger. There are probably less than annual sightings of a handful of other sharks, including Gray Reef and Hammerhead that divers might see. :idk:

Went with them a few years ago, and it was great. It's neat seeing a tiger up close :D

tiger shark 3 by tobze

Back on the subject for the OP though, I've done the Molokai trip on two separate occasions, and while I did see hammerheads both times, they were pretty far away (just a faint silhouette). Granted, luck/chance plays a large part. I'd second DiveMaven's suggestion of checking with the dive shop regarding the Molokai trip though if you don't have many dives. FWIW - there's probably a pretty high chance you'll see reef sharks on some of your other dives (assuming you're doing other dives) .

I have seen a tiger while diving. I "paparazzi" scared it into turning around before it was close enough for good pics, sorta lunging with camera stretched out in front; wish it had stuck around just a little longer. :shakehead:

I've seen a rather large tiger at Hookena reasonably often. I think it's the same shark each time.

+1 for tigers on BI. I just ran into TWO big tiggers outside Honokohau Harbor a month ago.

+1 for the Molokai trip as well. The hammerheads are nothing less than enthralling.

If you do make it to Oahu, follow Halemano's lead and do the shark cage tour. If you want sharks, that is probably the most bang for your buck. And don't let their size and curiosity fool you, I've been out there a few times sans cage and was more mesmerized than terrified. The Galapagos sharks are big and friendly, but strictly fish eaters.

One correction, we don't get many gray reef sharks here on Oahu (last I heard there have been only two confirmed sightings). They tend to shy away from high islands in general, but can still be seen on the other islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom