shark dives vs au natural

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
Shark fining serves a very small market on a (world scale) however it doe's seem to be growing with the quest for exotic foods (fad) despite the shark feeding circus's. A much simpler way is to ban shark products for sale. Ivory comes to mind. Not only is it illegal to hunt elephant but here in the states its illegal to sell (new) ivory. The penalties are so harsh that you would be hard pressed to find a jeweler that would touch ivory, new or old. If there is a market there always will be people ready to supply that market.

God I'd love to see trade in shark products banned, trouble is the sharks will be long gone by the time any ban could be enforced. Unbelieveably Great Whites and Whale Sharks are the only sharks on the CITES list of endangered species at the moment, but that doesn't stop the finning.

We're not just talking about the local chinese restaurant here either as a market for the fins. China as a country has 20% of the worlds population and although fin soup is still considered a dish for the 'middle' class, this particular section of Chinese society is growing astonishingly quickly as economic development spreads thoughout the area.

Shark fisheries in SE Asia are virtually exhausted and therefore the old supply and demand laws come into effect. There are not enough fins to keep up with consumption, prices rocket upwards and before you know it there are even speed boats illegally raiding Australian terriortial waters from Indonesia in a bid to make a small fortune.

even with a ban its comparatively easy to keep an eye on a herd of elephants wandering across the plains compared to trying to protect sharks against illegal fishermen across 66% of the earth. education and responsible consumption is the only way forward

simonspear:
God I'd love to see trade in shark products banned, trouble is the sharks will be long gone by the time any ban could be enforced. Unbelieveably Great Whites and Whale Sharks are the only sharks on the CITES list of endangered species at the moment, but that doesn't stop the finning.

We're not just talking about the local chinese restaurant here either as a market for the fins. China as a country has 20% of the worlds population and although fin soup is still considered a dish for the 'middle' class, this particular section of Chinese society is growing astonishingly quickly as economic development spreads thoughout the area.

Shark fisheries in SE Asia are virtually exhausted and therefore the old supply and demand laws come into effect. There are not enough fins to keep up with consumption, prices rocket upwards and before you know it there are even speed boats illegally raiding Australian terriortial waters from Indonesia in a bid to make a small fortune.

Despite shark feeds !. If its not illegal to fin sharks whats to stop people fining the sharks that are used to going to shark feeding sights for them?.

isurus:
even with a ban its comparatively easy to keep an eye on a herd of elephants wandering across the plains compared to trying to protect sharks against illegal fishermen across 66% of the earth. education and responsible consumption is the only way forward

As I said

its illegal to sell (new) ivory. The penalties are so harsh that you would be hard pressed to find a jeweler that would touch ivory, new or old. If there is a market there is a market there will always be sellers.

The only way to stop it is stop the ability to sell it.

In general, I would prefer to see sharks in their natural state versus a shark feed. I also tend to think it's safer as sharks in their natural enironment generally aren't in a feeding frenzy when you're watching them. However, if this is the only way that people have to see that sharks aren't the bloodthirsty killing machines that Hollywood would have you believe, then I'm ok with them.

packman:
In general, I would prefer to see sharks in their natural state versus a shark feed. I also tend to think it's safer as sharks in their natural enironment generally aren't in a feeding frenzy when you're watching them. However, if this is the only way that people have to see that sharks aren't the bloodthirsty killing machines that Hollywood would have you believe, then I'm ok with them.

Shark feeds is preaching to the converted. Millions of people see Hollywood movies a few divers that are conservation minded already ! go on shark feeds.

cdiver2:
As I said

The only way to stop it is stop the ability to sell it.

my point was that there is no way to stop the ability to sell it. shark fin is so easy to obtain compared to many other animal products such as ivory that there will always be someone willing to supply it. As for ivory - see this from todays independent (a british newspaper):

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article331144.ece

"Shark feeds is preaching to the converted. "

...some shark feeds. you'd be amazed how many backpackers with just an o/w certificate told me they'd felt the need to do a g/w cage dive in South Africa when I mentioned I was heading there.

"If its not illegal to fin sharks whats to stop people fining the sharks that are used to going to shark feeding sights for them?. "

1) You could make it illegal to fin sharks anywhere in the world. Remember the fuss over the whale moratorium? won't happen
2) If it did people would ignore it and smuggle fin and how could we possibly stop them?
3) You could make it illegal to sell sharks fin in as many country's as possible - will help but a huge part of the global population will still be "into fin"
4) therefore the only way to minmise the damage is to cut demand by putting people off the product however you do it be it shark feeds, tv documentaries, pointing out the massive mercury content in large pelagics or however.

No government has stemmed the demand (and hence supply) for illicit drugs or cites material, why would another law stop demand (and hence supply) for this? Shark feeds may not be the answer alone but as part of ongoing education as to the wonder of sharks they'll help negate demand (and hence supply)

I've only ever seen sharks in the wild - and felt lucky ever time I have. Shark feeds have no appeal to me whatsoever.

If you want to see sharks, go dive where sharks are. There are plenty of places where sharks are likely to be. Does that mean you'll necessarily see one for sure? No. But wouldn't it mean more to you if you saw one finning gracefully along the reef out of nowhere than some of them showing up like trained seals?

I know it does to me. :shrug:

"If you want to see sharks, go dive where sharks are. There are plenty of places where sharks are likely to be. Does that mean you'll necessarily see one for sure? No. But wouldn't it mean more to you if you saw one finning gracefully along the reef out of nowhere than some of them showing up like trained seals?"

someone with a head on their shoulders...

cdiver2:
Despite shark feeds !. If its not illegal to fin sharks whats to stop people fining the sharks that are used to going to shark feeding sights for them?.

Well for example in Gansbaai a man was recently nearly linched by local residents when he was found to have caught and killed a Great White. If local people equate sharks alive and swimming around directly to their income then they get pretty aggressive towards anyone who tries to harm them.

The bottom line is that sharks are more valuable alive than dead and finned. The more people who can be educated to understand this then the more chance we have of protecting sharks. Like nearly everything in life education and economic benefit is the key.

Going back to the hole Shark feeding dives debate then I can understand fully if people are not keen on them for whatever reason. I may actually find that once I've been on one myself that I don't actually like it. However I absolutely feel that it is a viable way to generate money into a local economy and at the same time provide a reason to keep these animals alive for all the reasons I've already gone over. For that reason alone I will always be 100% behind them.

Back
Top Bottom