Shark Diving Hot Spot Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the Galapagos last October I saw whitetip reef sharks, silkies, Galapagos sharks, seven whale sharks, and scalloped hammerheads by the score.

My favourite shark hot spots:
Malpelo Island, Columbia: schooling Hammerhead sharks, Whalesharks, Galapagos Sharks
Sudan: schooling Hammerhead sharks, Silvertip, Gray reef sharks, whitetip reefshark, occassional tigershark
Rangiroa: Great hammerhead shark, Gray reef shark, blacktipshark

I planned my honeymoon around shark diving and we went to Beqa Lagoon in Fiji. Pretty breathtaking shark dive. We saw huge nurse sharks, lemon sharks, bull sharks and a silvertip shark. I would highly recommend Beqa Lagoon Resort. If you search for Beqa Lagoon on YouTube you can see videos of their shark dives. Apparently a large female tiger shark hangs out in the area also. It is amazing to see how gentle the sharks are when feeding from the divemasters and the amount of fish is astounding. I definitely want to go back.

My family and I saw lots of lemons, pretty reliably, in Bora Bora (even saw a natural predation). They even joined us -- actually joined us -- on a couple of dives.
There are lots of reliable bull shark dives. Beqa Lagoon, Fiji, is a good one; we saw a tiger shark as well but I understand that's pretty unusual. I've heard Playa Del Carmen has a pretty good Bull shark dive.
Whitetip reefs can be seen almost anywhere.

There are dive ops that actually guarantee Whale Sharks during the right time of year (July, if I remember correctly) in Holbox Mexico, on the Yucatan.
Zebra Sharks can be seen all over Phuket, Thailand.
I think you can find Ornate Wobbegong and White Spotted Bamboos in Australia.

The Shark Watcher's Handbook is pretty good but when you follow their advice, you have to do it with a directed hit at the sharks. If you just go to the place they're talking about and tag any old dive op, you probably won't get the experience you're hoping for. You need to hook up with a shop and discuss with them, in advance, what you're wanting to see.

Good luck!

In November, I swam (diving) into hundreds of Scalloped Hammerheads...was in the middle of a shoal with them above me, below me, in front, behind and on both sides. Amazing. Like Selkie said, also large Galapagos Sharks, Whale Sharks, Black Tips, White-Tipped Reef Sharks, Silkies and of course, also Mantas, Eagle Rays, dolphins, turtles, sea lions and much more.

Try Playa del Carmen for Bull Sharks. I dove with them not far off the beach in Playa in 65' of water. Vis was 55' and you could still see them circleing below on the sand during the safety stop. We only encountered 4bulls (2 male 2female) but there can be as many as 25. Ask Scorpio Divers of Cancun about the encounter.

I enjoy diving on Protea Banks, Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa. During December 2009 I did 4 non-baited and non-caged dives and encountered 31 sharks in total. They were:

Bull sharks: 25
Hammerheads: 3
Black tips: 2
Ragged tooth: 1

On 2 April 2010, I will be down there again...can't wait for it!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom