Shark diving on Emerald Charters in Jupiter +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just love this photo taken by Laz Ruda of Randy Jordan, owner and operator of Emerald Charters. Diving Emerald is always an adventure. Randy finds the sharks. Hammerheads are rather common right now. You have to go deep to see them regularly (100 + ft.) For the faint at heart, you can hang back in the distance and watch the sharks from afar. I have hundreds of dives with Randy and never felt unsafe. Going out tomorrow after being in New England for two weeks. Need to get wet. 50 degree water in Maine didn't appeal to me so much.

1017232_538348812869260_698743273_n.jpg

I just love this photo taken by Laz Ruda of Randy Jordan, owner and operator of Emerald Charters. Diving Emerald is always an adventure. Randy finds the sharks. Hammerheads are rather common right now. You have to go deep to see them regularly (100 + ft.) For the faint at heart, you can hang back in the distance and watch the sharks from afar. I have hundreds of dives with Randy and never felt unsafe. Going out tomorrow after being in New England for two weeks. Need to get wet. 50 degree water in Maine didn't appeal to me so much.

View attachment 157698

I agree, I have the charter group liked on my FB and was just going 'wow' at some of the pics. When I get better he is on 'the list' to do a few dives with.

I just noticed the shark swimming away appears to have a fish in its mouth. Shark Mafia strikes again?

Last edited:
Its a great photo. I believe its not a case of Randy finding sharks, as much as it is the sharks knowing where to go to get fed. Just follow the chum and jacks being fed to ya. Kinda like the guy who sits on the bench feeding pigeons lol

love that boat

Whoa, folks, you need to clear your heads. Sorry to be the dissenting voice here, as I am a true shark lover. But, there is no way this is going to end well.

This particular operation was and is primarily a spearfishing boat, run by a highly respected, experienced captain, diver and spearfisher. Due to this heritage, however, their "shark attractant" is speared, bloody fish, or maybe chunky, bloody chum (see photo, could be either). This takes place, most often, in 130'. Florida has long banned "shark feeding" dives in State waters, and for good reason. The pretext of spearing is a convenient way to get around this ban as photographers are just "onlookers" and this is not really a "shark dive."

Exciting, sure, nice cowboy action and everyone can pound their chests, but does anyone doubt for a moment that it is just a matter of time . . . . .?

Spearfishers take the risk of shark problems as part of their hunting, and that is fine, but this should never be promoted as conservation or photography diving. The "photo action" that everyone brags about is from fending off aggressive sharks whipped into a frenzy by blood in the water. Even one of the most experienced and professional shark operators (not this one, for sure), has had bites and incidents (even a fatality), under safer, shallower, and far more controlled conditions than these cowboy dives.

I am saddened to see true conservation operations like Laz's signing on to this, and also a well known dive shop that, I wonder, does it really know what is going on when it sends divers on this charter? The persons marketing these dives to photographers or people who want to see sharks really need to sit back and re-think their actions. The lack of common sense with this is simply breathtaking.

Getting away with it once, or even many times, leads people to think that it can never happen, that a shark in a feeding frenzy still would never bite, and that we are invincible because we admire sharks or that we can "take 'em on" because we are armed with either spears or cameras to fend them off. On a borderline deco dive in strong current, no less. This is just hubris.

While I respect others' opinions, what is nice is that we have many choices of fine dive operations in Jupiter. As with any activity, we take on an assumed risk. For those who do not like this activity, you may simply refrain from it. For the record, these dives are done in FEDERAL waters, not state waters. It is not illegal. Additionally, most of the photo ops are on the safety stop in 20-30 ft. of water.

......I am saddened to see true conservation operations like Laz's signing on to this, and also a well known dive shop that, I wonder, does it really know what is going on when it sends divers on this charter? ......

I dove with Laz on this day. It was his 'day off' and he was on his own personal time, nothing to do with his job. I'll sidestep the rest of your comments, but like others, I'm TRULY JEALOUS of Laz's pictures. He is one of the best photographers that I dive with.

I am saddened to see that my posting the pic by Laz brought him unneeded criticism. I would take it down, but it has already been copied in another post. That's so unfair for him. He posted it on a public page with his signature, so evidently he is not ashamed of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom