Shark diving on Emerald Charters in Jupiter +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am saddened to see that my posting the pic by Laz brought him unneeded criticism. I would take it down, but it has already been copied in another post. That's so unfair for him. He posted it on a public page with his signature, so evidently he is not ashamed of it.
Laz is a great photographer, and one of the most liked u/w South Fl photographers I know of....
I don't think he took any heat from Guy's post at all. And there is no denying the shark shots are awesome. Guy's point was not hitting Laz with anything, I read it as more of a plea for a boat operator doing a Shark Dive, to do this with dead bait--leading to calm, curious sharks.....rather than bringing them in with fish struggling on a spear....it creates an entirely different shark behavior....the real point here is that if any kind of shark dive is likely to have accidents, it is the "live struggling fish" kind of a shark dive ....

I want to see shark dives become mainstream in Palm Beach...and I want them to maintain a good safety record. So far, Randy and Emerald has, but if he wants this to become a major draw for the area, and shark dives become more widespread, it would seem hard to argue that there is a much safer way to bring shark dives to the masses of divers...namely dead fish in bait boxes, and no feeding.

Practically every diver I know that has been out with Randy, likes Randy and his boat operation....and his shark dives.....This makes it really hard to even discuss any thought that maybe there might be a better way for Randy to do this for the "masses".

By the way, I have dived with Randy and like him and like his boat. I have dived with Laz several times and admire his photography and respect his work.

My post was not to generate heat, but instead some light.

I am glad to see everyone lawyered up to find a way to do these cowboy dives just outside of State waters, very creative.

Also glad to see that everyone will ultimately blame the diver that gets killed or hurt, just because that diver thought these were exciting, safe dives led by respondible shark experts.

Nothing has changed about my post. Seeing the video, it is worse than I had thought.

Watching the video (and other videos of this operation) is enough to make your skin crawl. No buddy system. No divers grouped together for safety and to make a more intimidating bulk. Aggressive sharks in all directions with no one responsible for keeping track of where they are, not even in buddy pairs. Flailing fins and hands around aggressive sharks, as divers struggle to maintain body position. Arms totally extended with pasty white hands (the same pasty white color as the dead chum) dangling in the current. Divers glued to cameras without a trace of situational awareness.

The people touting this think they are invincible, but they are not. There is a macho type of groupthink that just blinds them. Just look at the divemasters in Mexico with thousands of dives, who died doing deep bounce dives. Look at the crocodile divers in Africa who got bitten because they were flailing around in bad conditions (see wetpixel for this). Putting photo hobbyists and shark viewers into this mix is just asking for a train wreck.

There was an attempt, not too long ago on this board, to encourage a diver from up north with less than 50 dives to go out on one of these. Please, people, just think . . . . .

What, it's not enough to dive with and see sharks in their natural habitat and with natural behaviors?

I'd actually really like to hear more thoughts from Dan Volker on this subject. I really don't know for sure if the shark feeding is a bad idea or not, my gut feeling says its a bad idea. Chumming the waters and feeding the sharks in an area has to have some effect on their natural behaviors (esecially when its done so consistently in the same location). Does this not have the potential to alter their migratory patterns? Does this have the potential to create a dangerous association on those sites for the sharks and other groups of divers? Is it ethical for us to trick these creatures into being a tourist attraction by luring them into an area? To me the chumming and feeding devalues the shark sightings as I equate that to going to the zoo. I also just want to spearfish now a days and I really would rather not see the sharks for obvious reasons.

I would love a better understanding on this subject so I can make an informed opinion on whether this should be a viable practice for dive charters in our area. It clearly is a tactic to fill seats, and if its deemed environmentally responsible and relatively safe why are more charters not going 3 miles out and shooting a bunch of jacks to draw in the big ticket items (Sharks!!!)?

While I respect others' opinions, what is nice is that we have many choices of fine dive operations in Jupiter. As with any activity, we take on an assumed risk. For those who do not like this activity, you may simply refrain from it. For the record, these dives are done in FEDERAL waters, not state waters. It is not illegal. Additionally, most of the photo ops are on the safety stop in 20-30 ft. of water.

Do I read this correctly, that chumming or feeding indeed is happening? (but in federal waters where it is legal)

Do I read this correctly, that chumming or feeding indeed is happening? (but in federal waters where it is legal)

We happened to catch a couple of bonita on the way to the site and took advantage of the opportunity. It wasn't part of the regular dive. Some jumped in during the surface interval. It was definitely a choice by the divers.

Yes, the practice of shooting fish to bring in the sharks is well known and no secret. In the photo you can see a shark swimming away with the tail of a fish sticking out of its mouth. In the video on the other thread, you can see the big pieces of fish meat floating in the water right in and amongst the divers. The sharks would not be there, in agressive feeding mode, otherwise.

No one "happened to catch" anything. It was intended as a chumming/baiting dive from the get-go, as is the practice of shooting fish for the sole purpose of killing them and putting their blood and thrashing out there as an attractant.

Chumming and feeding is taking place and its not a random once in a while thing. Whether its a sound practice is something I'm reserving judgement on.

We happened to catch a couple of bonita on the way to the site and took advantage of the opportunity. It wasn't part of the regular dive. Some jumped in during the surface interval. It was definitely a choice by the divers.

Yes, the practice of shooting fish to bring in the sharks is well known and no secret. In the photo you can see a shark swimming away with the tail of a fish sticking out of its mouth. In the video on the other thread, you can see the big pieces of fish meat floating in the water right in and amongst the divers. The sharks would not be there, in agressive feeding mode, otherwise.

No one "happened to catch" anything. It was intended as a chumming/baiting dive from the get-go, as is the practice of shooting fish for the sole purpose of killing them and putting their blood and thrashing out there as an attractant.

Chumming and feeding is taking place and its not a random once in a while thing. Whether its a sound practice is something I'm reserving judgement on.

thanks

I'd actually really like to hear more thoughts from Dan Volker on this subject. I really don't know for sure if the shark feeding is a bad idea or not, my gut feeling says its a bad idea. Chumming the waters and feeding the sharks in an area has to have some effect on their natural behaviors (esecially when its done so consistently in the same location). Does this not have the potential to alter their migratory patterns? Does this have the potential to create a dangerous association on those sites for the sharks and other groups of divers? Is it ethical for us to trick these creatures into being a tourist attraction by luring them into an area? To me the chumming and feeding devalues the shark sightings as I equate that to going to the zoo. I also just want to spearfish now a days and I really would rather not see the sharks for obvious reasons.

I would love a better understanding on this subject so I can make an informed opinion on whether this should be a viable practice for dive charters in our area. It clearly is a tactic to fill seats, and if its deemed environmentally responsible and relatively safe why are more charters not going 3 miles out and shooting a bunch of jacks to draw in the big ticket items (Sharks!!!)?

Well thanks for asking for my view :)

I have been thinking alot about this.....

First, a little history on the ban....when it went into effect, it was a reaction from some commercial spearfishing guys, mostly around Boca or Pompano I think...and they really did not want shark feeding because of their own agendas....I don't know if this was because sharks were more apt to steal their shot fish after the feeds, or if they did not want the public to start seeing sharks as valuable for tourism( these guys were commercial fisherman afterall, meaning shark finning may have been just fine by them).....whatever the root cause, they created a movement, and got a loby, and created a bogus law--one that had all the wrong reasons for being made...They had as a co-consprator, a magazine called CDNN...a sort of National Enquirer of Dive Magazines-though this is horribly unfair to the National Enquirer to compare them :)

So we have a bogus law...that can be a different thread...Let's assume for now that the it is irrelevant, given we can legally do shark dives 3 miles out or further off Juno and Jupiter.

I spearfished from the 70's up until about 3 years ago, when I began shooting with a video camera instead of a gun....I had sharks wanting to take my fish many times.....the old-timers like Frank Hammett I did most of my spearfishing with, were vehement that you never let the sharks take your catch...that it would cause bad behavors if they learned this was an easy meal. Related to this, I am well aware that you"can" keep sharks from biting you with a struggling fish on a line, but it can be hairy....and it is NOT a underwater experience that I would want visited on my wife Sandra, or many other friends of mine that are good divers, but that do not have experience in the best ways to avoid being bitten by an aggressive shark--and who would not want to be in the water with an aggressive shark posturing at them....And, if I really thought behavior like what Randy was doing would factor into this, endangering others, we would have me going postal over this issue..... In fact, Jim Abernethy convinced me this was not going to happen.
Jim happens to have more time diving free( out of cage) with huge tigers, bulls and hammers that just about any other diver on the planet....and arguably, Jim has the best behavioral grasp of any in the shark game today.... Whether he is the top like I say, or among the top--he has good insights.
Jim feels that the sharks are smart enough to know how to get an easy meal. They know a diver without food, and they know when a diver DOES have food( fish). They may take
slightly" more notice of divers today where Randy does his spearing based shark attracting....but for divers without fish and not in Randy's group, the sharks just won't waste their time. So this might be a tangent, one I could get Jim to add some more to...

Then there is the issue of non-feeding shark dives where dead fish are used as bait....where the sharks come in slow, curious, hang around for a while, and then leave. This is the kind of Shark dive I would want for Palm Beach dive Tourism. It is easy enough to have divemasters assisting in keeping a group together in the right areas, and to keep the divers acting properly....and to have something ( camera or PVC) in each diver's hands on the off chance that a shark gets curious enough to want to act like we do with something we are curious about--the way we pick something up in our hand, and look close...this is a test bite....and it is easy enough to avoid in this scenario.

Why should we have such dives?
  1. When people have never had contact with an animal, or with something, it is hard to be connected to it enough to CARE much if this animal or thing is in danger. Sharks have it even worse since Jaws. If we could show a large chunk of the US population, that sharks actually are as intelligent as the family dog, that they have personalities...some like a collie, some like a black lab..some like a "nice pit bull"..some like a "not-so-nice-pitbull"....If we can either anthropomorphize them a bit, or at least help show the real nature, and the "RIGHT TO EXIST", then when the Chinese begin lobbying for permission to take some small city sized trawlers through American waters to kill sharks and fin them---then maybe the people of the US would be out-raged, and they would make this politically impossible to be allowed.
  2. Economically, as we show sharks are worth millions for Shark tourism for each shark, but only a hundred or so for each shark when they are harvested for finning--this is a powerful message to our government.
  3. And the shark dives are really fun, when run with just the dead bait, and when the sharks don't get to eat ( the eating gets them worked up, even of dead fish). We dive for adventure--this is big adventure.

Thanks for the response Dan. So essentially what you're saying is we need to do a little more homework to figure out about the origination of the law.
That shark dives are a potential gold mine for diving tourism in our area, and that the implications of these dives has yet to be truly discovered?
I like the idea that these dives could have an indirect impact on curving commercial shark fishing.

The one problem I see is that this is a high risk (or more appropriately *high consequence*) high reward activity. It will draw in a bunch of divers to the charter, but if one person gets bit the nature of our media will show this in a horrible light. The dive operator will suffer and the local diving industry may also suffer a momentary lull in customers (who are afraid).

What do you think about my other questions; Could this have a negative impact on the local shark population in terms of their feeding habits and migratory patterns?

Really appreciate the first hand historical accounts and thoughtful response.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom