Shark Diving while Menstrating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ratherbediving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello ladies!

I'm planning a month-long diving trip to Tahiti for my honeymoon and there is 1 thing that is worrying me....
Tahiti is known for its abundance of sharks. So, will I be in danger if I dive while on my period? Since we'll be there for a full month, there seems to be no way of avoiding female anatomy.
I've just gone off the pill for other personal reasons.
Anyone out there have any advice?

If you do a search, you'll find this topic has been covered several times. Bottom line - you're at no greater risk from sharks while you are having your period.

Looks like you're new to the board too, welcome! And although I haven't read the other threads about this topic, I can say that when you are in the water, I know that menstruating slows down, or maybe even stops. At least that's what I remember from Sex Ed, in High School.
Have fun on your honeymoon! Lucky you, a month long!

For the replies. I tried a couple of searches but only saw stuff about decompression illness risks. I'll try again.
Feeling relieved.
Thanks.:)

to the search feature and type in menstruation and sharks.

You should get a couple threads to read.

As Walter mentioned in his first response its not a problem.

Enjoy the honeymoon, the diving and the sharks:)

Actually, the menstrual blood does not attract sharks because it is kind of a dead blood, i.e. the shark can feel it's not someone bleeding from a wound.

Relax :wink: and enjoy :)

be weird or anything but I wonder if that has been tested?

Why would chumming work to attract sharks? It would seem to me that the blood etc used for chumming would be "dead".

I'm certainly no shark expert but I wonder if sharks are actually drawn to blood as we have been led to believe or is there something different that actually draws them to chum or injured animals.

Back
Top Bottom