Shark eggs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bosshog

Registered
Reaction score
I found some egg sacks in Bras d'or lake in Cape Bretten, Nova Scotia. Is there a way to identify what kind of shark/ray they are from without opening them up? One sac is empty and the other is intact, so I would like to keep it that way.

Thanks,
Jason

bosshog:
I found some egg sacks in Bras d'or lake in Cape Bretten, Nova Scotia. Is there a way to identify what kind of shark/ray they are from without opening them up? One sac is empty and the other is intact, so I would like to keep it that way.

Thanks,
Jason
Might have better luck if this gets moved to the Marine Life section. PM a moderator and ask them to move it. If you can post a picture it would help.

Only some sharks do, many lay eggs.

Hmm. (Checks google) Yep, you're right. I suppose you could compare them to pictures of samples of shark/ray eggs and see if there's a match. For a sure ID you'd probably have to check with a marine biologist or someone who really knew their stuff.

Wildcard:
Only some sharks do, many lay eggs.

yeah, most sharks give birth to live young, but some release eggs that hatch later....

from Wikipedia:

* Oviparity - Some sharks lay eggs. In most of these species, the developing embryo is protected by an egg case with the consistency of leather. Some of these cases are corkscrewed into crevices for protection. Oviparous sharks include the horn shark and the swell shark.

* Viviparity - These sharks actually maintain a placental link to the developing young, more analogous to mammals than other fishes. The young are born alive and fully functional. Hammerheads, the requiem sharks (like the bull and tiger sharks), the basking shark and the smooth dogfishes fall into this category. The blue shark produces the most young of sharks that have had the number of pups recorded, the maximum reported being 82.

* Ovoviviparity - Most sharks utilize this method. The young are nourished by the yolk of their egg and by fluids secreted by glands in the walls of the oviduct. The eggs hatch within the oviduct, and the young continue to be nourished by the remnants of the yolk and the oviduct's fluids. As in viviparity, the young are born alive and fully functional. Sometimes they are functional even before being born, as some species practice oophagy, where the first to hatch eat the remaining eggs in the oviduct. Sand tigers, makos, threshers, porbeagles and possibly great whites have oophagous young. The survival strategy for the species that do this is that the young are able to grow to an even larger size before being born. The whale shark is now considered to be in this category after having been classified as oviparous for a long time. Whale shark eggs found are now thought to have been aborted.

bosshog:
I found some egg sacks in Bras d'or lake in Cape Bretten, Nova Scotia.
I may be from the wrong side of the country, but did you say "lake"? - As in "fresh water"? I know there are sharks in Lake Titicaca (heh, heh, he said "titicaca"), but I never heard of that in Canada. If Bras d'or lake is actually a part of the ocean, just ignore me and I'll go away.

Wow, I learned something new today. I always thought that all sharks gave birth to live young. I dont have anything to really add to this thread just thought it was cool I learned something. All the time I've spent reading up on sharks, I never thought to even read on that since I always just assumed all had live births. Thanks for the neat info, time to go read more.

s****enstein:
I know there are sharks in Lake Titicaca (heh, heh, he said "titicaca")

oh oh oh... oh oh oh...

memememememe... memememememe... me!!!!

well... lots of sharks live in brackish water, and some (bull sharks)
can hang out in fresh water. I suspect this may be the case here.

http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/topics/p_fw_rays.htm

and also, i love to say Lake Titicaca too (hehehehehe) ... but... the
lake you mean is Lake Nicaragua, where the only known species of
"full time" fresh water shark (related to the bull shark) lives!!

When I was a child, I was always indignant about seeing "red tailed sharks" in the pet stores. But did the management ever listen to me, no...

They couldn't tell apart different breeds of hamster, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom