Shark Feeding worries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAGELLAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got a quick trip planned for Grand Bahama August 20-24th. I'm going to stay at the Our Lucaya Beach and Golf resort. I understand it's across the street from UNEXSO. I haven't heard the best things about UNEXSO, but I've already purchased a voucher for a two tank dive through Expedia. Which by the way, I found them to be one of the best for pricing vacations. We got our deal out of Houston 4 nights hotel, Flight, and the Two tank dive for my wife and I for about a $1000. Anyway, I plan on using Xanadu for two days and UNEXSO for one, and maybe Grand Bahama Scuba if I can squeeze them in, since they get such good comments. What I'm worried about is that eventually, I plan on doing a shark dive/feeding. The deal is I have trouble equalizing and it takes me usually a good 3-5 minutes to get down the first 30-40ft. I just wanted to know if my slow descent would attract any unwanted attention from the sharks. Are they overly curious? Thanks, any other insight about the trip would be appreciated, this is my first trip to the Bahamas.

Seriously, I have been to GB three times and done the shark feeding with Xanadu (the best shark feeding as they hypnotize the sharks by rubbing their snouts). As the sharks are regularly fed, they also hang around the feeding sites most of the time, so you get plenty of swim along shark action at many dive sites close to the feeding sites.

As for the shark feeding, they take a lot of time to get down and set everyone up for the feeding. The shark feeder, carrying the chum, is normally the last one off the boat. If you have a little trouble equalizing, just ask the DM to let you go in first and take your time. The feeding sites are about 45' and as the dive consists of mostly kneeling in row or semi circle, air consumption is not a problem even if you jump in a few minutes before everyone else.

The feeding dives are a real rush as the sharks circle the feeder and most of the time, they let you look for shark teeth in the sand after the feeding. (Just keep your hands down during the feeding)

The only time I've seen any aggressive movements by any of the shark, when my fiancee took a picture of one at point blank (3') with a strobe and it turned and gave the tail wiggle move to indicate that he was agitated. But we have done probably 12 or more dives in close proximity to the sharks and no problems. It is always a blast to be so close to these apex predators.

The times that we have been there, the visibility has been outstanding (100') and the coral is quite good and the water should be around 83 to 84 degrees There are also a couple of good wrecks, the Theo and the Sea Starr which are both deep dives (90' to 100' range)

The Port Lucaya Marketplace is a blast, with live entertainment in the amphitheater nightly weather allowing.

You should have a great time.

Thanks,
I'm really excited about going, just trying to overcome shark fear, so I don't know about being the first one to jump in maybe second (I'll let my wife go first :D ). My only experience with sharks is Belize, nurse sharks, wich looked pretty harmless, stil quite a rush thoug. Any thoughts on dive operators?:confused:

I've been on 3 shark feeding dives. Two in Belize, and one with UNEXSO in Grand Bahama.
There is nothing wrong with UNEXSO, other then they fill their boats.
Can you blame them for that?
I agree that you should be amoung the first 6 or 7 to go down, but you don't need to be THE first, and neither does yoour wife.
Usually, there about 20 divers on that dive.
So go in, after about 6 or 7 have dove in.
The sharks want the food not you, so don't be afraid.

It's a cool dive, but it does get cold, because you can't move around.
Be sure to wear a wet suit, and take pictures.
Have fun!

My experience has been only with Xanadu and Caribbean Divers.

Xanadu is a big operator, runs more boats, does the shark feeding (the best) and offers nitrox (when available) They have had some problems with their boats while we were there, which can be somewhat concerning.

Caribbean Divers is a two man operation out of the Bell Channel Inn near Port Lucaya. Priestley Knowles, owner, captain and dive leader, and his nephew Jerry, divemaster and crew. They are a little cheaper, but make less runs as they only have one boat (in good working order) and they tend to load up some dives with resort divers and take them to the 20' reefs and no nitrox.

I have heard lots of good things about GB Scuba and lots of bad things about UNEXSO (too expensive, too restrictive)

I have workes as a shark feeder in the Bahamas. I found that the best way to test the water, to see if there are any hostile sharks about is to ask if there are any lawyers on the boat, ask them to enter the water first. :D :D

Seriously tho, The first time it is natural to have at least some anxiety. Nearly everyone becomes much more comfortable after just a few minutes. Most operators take you on an 'observation dive" first, that is, no feeding. You will see a few sharks in the distance. This helps gain comfort. The second dive is the feeding dive. The feeder generally enters the water (with the bait) last, once all are on the bottom.

The sharks (reef sharks involved in the bahamas diving)are interested in the bait, not the divers. They don't like the taste of human meat. That's why most shark attacks involve only one bite. If they don't like the taste, they rarely go back for seconds.

Regarding the shark "wiggle" on the photographer: Sharks are attracted to electronic signals. They constantly bump into my video camera and several times have attempted to swallow my strobe. One time a shark actually got her teeth onto my strobe. I yanked it back, but alas it flooded, I sent her the bill but haven't heard back yet.

If you really want to get your blood pumping, try snorkelling with the sharks. This is far more scary than being u/w with them.

At least where I worked, no paying customer has ever been bitten (if you get bit, you get a refund):D :D

Have fun, be safe,

Andrew

I've been hearing a lot of people say that Xanadu has been having trouble with their boats. When was this, and did they reimburse you? Other than that would you recomend them? I was curious too on how flexible they would be on their schedule of dive sites. They (Xanadu) have a schedule posted on the internet. It looks like they go back to the same reefs every day or so. So would I need to go to a different operator to visit a different place? Also they list two locations under their 8:30 Dive and one location at the 10:30 Dive, does that mean three dives for the morning, on two tanks? Thanks for the info

Thanks for the reassurance, Andrew. Where have you worked? any reccomendations on dive operators?

Xanadu runs the two tank dives (usually Theo, Sea Starr or Tunnels first deep dive) at 8:30 and another boat goes out for a shallow 1 tank dive at 10:30. They generally run 1 tank dives in the afternoon alternating between reef dives and shark feedings.

So, is it possible to get back in time from the morning two tank dive to catch the shallow 10:30 dive, considering you won't have much surface interval either? And you'd be able to get in 4 dives before say 3-4:00 O'clock?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom