Shark kills French diver in Marsa Alam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

with any species of shark i've seen, "size rules" +the smaller animal gets out of the way.
if she duck dived towards the shark, she was approaching the shark.

when she then returns to the surface to breath, that couldve been seen as backing down?

maybe it couldve been something as simple as a shark close encounter?
an ocassion when a diver might have had to push the shark away with a fin or torch, but she had neither? who knows?
tragic occurance.

If the above is true and the "victim" was trying to feed the shark, when will they ever learn??

When Darwin disambiguation has completed the cycle through the human species -- Never

Blame it on the Egyptians ! grate ! the Egyptian red sea diving sits are the most visited sits in the world with its exceptional colorful soft and hard corals and species that are not found any where else . we have more than enough tourists enjoying the wanders of the red sea , and if you face the lion (shark) be prepared to be lunch .so pick up your gear and get here:eyebrow::wink: ,but don’t blame the Egyptians on any thing if you decide to come.:no:

Blame it on the Egyptians ! grate ! the Egyptian red sea diving sits are the most visited sits in the world with its exceptional colorful soft and hard corals and species that are not found any where else . we have more than enough tourists enjoying the wanders of the red sea , and if you face the lion (shark) be prepared to be lunch .so pick up your gear and get here:eyebrow::wink: ,but don’t blame the Egyptians on any thing if you decide to come.:no:

So if I went to Egypt and got hit by a car crossing the street it would be my fault for being there?

of course a diving chamber is protecting her board members as this accident was on board member boat who allow shark feeding as he consider himself above the law.
why not if the cheif of dive chamber in Egypt is the owner of biggest bar and he is the biggest distributer of Hieneken beer in shrm and close friend of the minister money power and alcoloho
this is our new DIVING MAFIA OF EGYPT
they buy all important people and they kill tourists spoil tourrism
now we see more diving accident with CAMEL DIVE that we call it the CEMERTY OF THE DIVERS
they even buy newspapers to write goo news and success about the diving chamber what a success !! really MAFIA §§§§§!!!!!!!!:mooner::mooner:

So if I went to Egypt and got hit by a car crossing the street it would be my fault for being there?

For being there, yes it's your fault.
For being hit by a car, it may be the driver's fault.

For being killed by a shark, it is nobody's fault.

of course a diving chamber is protecting her board members as this accident was on board member boat who allow shark feeding as he consider himself above the law.
why not if the cheif of dive chamber in Egypt is the owner of biggest bar and he is the biggest distributer of Hieneken beer in shrm and close friend of the minister money power and alcoloho
this is our new DIVING MAFIA OF EGYPT
they buy all important people and they kill tourists spoil tourrism
now we see more diving accident with CAMEL DIVE that we call it the CEMERTY OF THE DIVERS
they even buy newspapers to write goo news and success about the diving chamber what a success !! really MAFIA §§§§§!!!!!!!!:mooner::mooner:

I don't really understand what you mean.
But I'd like to answer this :
Dude, your post sucks...

A tout hasard, essaie en français, on y verra peut-être plus clair ?
Le patron de camel dive est propriétaire de tous les caissons d'Egypte il s'est offert le ministre des finances et de l'alcool il vend un max de heineken et c'est le roi de la mafia ? C'est ça que tu veux dire ?

Well, my friend, I dive in Egypt (MArsa Alam mainly) a lot...
I enjoy it.
I've faced sharks and one simple thing, I'm not a God, and I know that, so before leaving Belgium, and during my stay, I asked, ask et I will ask again (the next week) about how to behave in front of a shark.

I you dive in a tropical area, shark is a thing that you can encounter. It is a fact.
No need of mafia to explain that.

Maybe a proper briefing and better a diver which listen the briefing (and maybe understand it) could avoid those sad events.

I'm sorry but the most dangerous things I meet in Egypt was some divers thinking they were so far better than those "****ing PADI Egyptians" (this is a citation!) that they could skip briefing...Sorry but with longi it is a very bad idea.

I hope I've been correct, if not: apologizes, I'm french speaker.

Last edited:
it happens but it is very rare in most places. to get a good look or even a picture is even rarer. and if you are looking for specific kinds of sharks you can basically forget it. who has seen a great white, a tiger, a mako, a blue without baiting?

While I pretty much agree with the post, I have seen all four up close and personal without any baiting (or residual tooth marks on my body!). However, these days it requires plenty of baiting to bring them in here in our waters.

Gonna chime in here cos I think some people need to go back and read the original posts, regardless of what was said in the press. I have seen photos of the victim being pulled out of the water and I know somebody personally who was on one of the safari boats tied up in the same area.

- The crew of at least one, maybe two dive boats were deliberately baiting the sharks by throwing food into the water. From what I have been told, this was not an accidental discharge of food waste.
- The crews of the boats are egyptian - that is not to blame egyptians, it is a simple fact.
- the boats involved were investigated by the CDWS which is the local regulatory body governing diving around the Sinai area. I don't have the results of that investigation.
- The lady who was killed was snorkelling - some press articles suggest she was "separated from the group" when the attack happened. Witnesses suggest she deliberately dived to approach the shark.
- The same shark that killed the snorkeller was seen aggressively bumping divers. At least one diver was injured by the shark, although not in a life-threatening way.
- Oceanics are notorious for bumping and close approaches
- Oceanics are alledgedly responsible for more human fatalities than all other species of shark combined; usually the victims of shipwrecks and in modern times, airplane disasters

As to what may or may not be suppressed by "government" is another matter. A shark which is classified as dangerous was deliberately baited, somebody made a mistake and died as a result. It is difficult to apportion blame in these circumstances. The water is *their* domain, not ours, and if we wish to share it, sometimes we must pay the price for doing so.

Last year, a few people were killed by sharks.

Last year, a few MILLION sharks were needlessly butchered by humans.

It's very tragic for the family, but we must give these magnificent creatures the respect they deserve, and not try to provoke them into what is purely and simply a natural behaviour pattern.

Safe diving.

C.

The water is *their* domain, not ours, and if we wish to share it, sometimes we must pay the price for doing so.

Last year, a few people were killed by sharks.

Last year, a few MILLION sharks were needlessly butchered by humans.

You're wise.

Back
Top Bottom