Shark kills South African spear fisherman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs.Prages

Contributor
Reaction score
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Reuters) -- A South African spear fisherman has been killed by a shark after a struggle in which he and his partner attempted to fight it off with their spear guns, marine officials said on Monday.

Henri Murray, 22, was the second spear fisherman to be killed by a shark in South African waters in the past 19 months.

Media reported on Monday that Murray had attempted to fend the shark off with his spear gun, fighting it off twice before it snatched him in its jaws. His fishing partner also tried to ward the creature off.

"His partner shot the shark with a spear," said Meriel Bartlett, a spokeswoman with the National Sea Rescue Institute.

The incident occurred near Cape Town on Saturday. The shark was presumed to be a great white, the ocean's most feared predator, which is common in the region's waters.

Off South Africa it is illegal to spear fish in scuba gear so divers must hold their breaths for long periods at a time.

The blood and guts that seep from a speared fish attract sharks, which have a keen sense of smell.

A spear fisherman was killed by what was believed to be a huge tiger shark off South Africa in November 2003.

"Spear fishing can be dangerous. You learn not to keep your shot fish near you by sticking it on a long line," said Vic Cockcroft of South Africa's Center for Dolphin Studies.

South African waters have been the scene of a number of shark attacks recently, including one involving a surfer who survived a savaging late last month.

In March a British tourist had a narrow escape when a 5-meter (16.5-foot) great white tore into a diving cage about 100 km (60 miles) southeast of Cape Town. The attack was caught on video.

And an elderly woman was killed by a great white in November while she was having her daily swim near Cape Town.

"The incidents of shark presence seem to be much higher around the coasts (than they used to be) ... There is evidence that our waters are warming up because of climate change, but whether this is making them more productive or not we don't know," Cockcroft said.

The Florida-based International Shark Attack File says 61 shark attacks were reported in the world last year, slightly up on the 2003 total of 57. Seven of last year's attacks were fatal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/06/06/shark.attack.reut/index.html

Sounds like its time for a shark derby! Mistaken identity my arse here. Seals don't shoot sharks with spearguns. Sounds like its also time for a spearfishing class with emphasis on aim.

The artical I read said it swallowed him whole. Spearfishing my fanny, if it's big enough to swallow you whole, you better have a harpoon launcher.

Hey, you swim in his turf...

seven people were killed by sharks in the world last year.

in the US alone, 4 people die every hour in a car crash. That's 116 a day.
(it extrapolates, on average, to 816 per week, 3,536 per month, or
42,443 per year). That's just the US, and not counting Canada,
all of Europe, Central and South America, India, and China, just to name a few.

You are acutally more likely to be killed by a candy vending machine falling on you than you are by a shark attack.

I still believe that chumming the waters for cage diving is going to be one of the reasons for the increase in attacks. Who will ever know though?

Justin699:
Sounds like its time for a shark derby! Mistaken identity my arse here. Seals don't shoot sharks with spearguns. Sounds like its also time for a spearfishing class with emphasis on aim.

Hmmm, spearing fish in known Great White area, sounds to me more like Darwinism rather than shark derby time...
Smart shark, stupid fisherman in this case. Hurray for Darwin awards!

I want to see the viedo mentioned in the article where the GWS tore into the diving cage. Has anyone seen it?

Back
Top Bottom