Shark Massacre in New York - Coverage - Very Sad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePhotoGuide

Contributor
Reaction score
Fellow divers - it is so hard to report on this stuff. We try so hard to preach ocean conservation and shark conservation around the world. But folks - this is happening in our backyards! We must take a stand, we must stand up against it. Please read the story, at the very end it notes what you can do to do your part.

For the sharks...

I read the link but couldn't find the massacre you refer to. Most fisherman take pictures with their prize sharks. They may have ejected activists with cameras from the event however.

All I see are are fish being cleaned in the photos. They happen to be sharks. I'd rather people not fish for sharks. Then again, I'd rather them not fish for bluefin tuna for a few years either but I won't post pictures of bluefins being cleaned and claim its a massacre.

Hysteria is probably not the best tool for ending catching of fish whose numbers are depleting.

The glorification of killing the largest and healthiest of the species is despicable and unacceptable. Hundreds of sharks die from these tournaments. That is the massacre. That is why Destin was shut down.

Of course commercial fishing is far, far worse, but that is not the topic of this particular conversation.

Agreed on bluefin, it's a bad situation all around...for many other species as well. We are depleting the ocean. That is why I personally won't eat all but the most selective fish and mainly shellfish that are farmed and environmentally ethical. I try to educate others as much as possible about what is really happening out there. Most people seem to not care. It is indeed a massacre that there are many of these tournaments that add to the depletion in local regions.

I personally won't eat all but the most selective fish and mainly shellfish that are farmed and environmentally ethical. I try to educate others as much as possible about what is really happening out there.

As someone who loves seafood, but is concerned about the rapid rate of decline for some of the species, I abide by the Seafood Watch guide put out by the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Monterey Bay Aquarium: Seafood Watch Program - A Consumer's Guide to Sustainable Seafood

Last edited by a moderator:
What's sad too is that most of the catch of these shark tournament is just thrown in the trash!:shakehead:

Another great service is from the Blue Ocean Institute. You can text the word FISH and a species to 30644 from your mobile phone and they will text you back in 2 seconds the sustainability level of any species. It's great when you need the info in a restaurant and store.

I too am a major seafood lover. The worst of the worst is actually shrimp due to the harvesting procedure of bottom trawling. I always ask where the shrimp comes from and will only eat American farmed shrimp, which by the way are hard to find in most restaurants!

Guide to Ocean Friendly Seafood

Fellow divers - it is so hard to report on this stuff. We try so hard to preach ocean conservation and shark conservation around the world. But folks - this is happening in our backyards! We must take a stand, we must stand up against it. Please read the story, at the very end it notes what you can do to do your part.

For the sharks...

I found the article to have several half truths. For example, it stated that most of the blue sharks caught and then released, would die from that. Most studies of catch and release among large saltwater fish shows 95%+ survival rates, the notable exception being red drum. Inaccuracy and calls to emotion are not helping your cause.

What's sad too is that most of the catch of these shark tournament is just thrown in the trash!:shakehead:

That is simply not true. All of the sharks taken in the NY tournaments are edible. In fact the larger of the 2 major tournaments in NY takes the sharks from the anglers and donates the steaks to local food banks. In another tournament only 2 species are allowed, Threshers and Makos. These fish are considered quite delectable (they have bladders) and are prized table fare. I myself will order a mako steak in any restaurant any time I see it.
Furthermore, marine biologists are always present at these events and gather more information to preserve the species than they could otherwise gather in a month and at virtually no cost. Not only from the sharks taken to the scales (which is at most 1 per boat & obviously only the successful boats) but most fishermen tag and release fish that are too small or not an eligible species.
I'm not trying to say that the oceans aren't in trouble, but a few fishing tournaments are not what's causing the problems. In the case of sharks finning is a horrible practice and causing terrible carnage. Also incidental by-catch. Longliners that set up to 30, 40 and even 50 miles of lines with hooks every 10 feet will catch up to 400 sharks per set and they make many many sets. All of these fish are released dead. If they are alive on their way into the boat they are clubbed or otherwise killed so as to avoid injury to the fishermen. Similarly gill nets and seiners take many many more fish per boat in 1 day than a 300 boat tournament can ever dream of. The problem is the fishermen are proud of their catch and therefore gets a lot of press. The commercial fishermen work stealthily to avoid the issues.
And yes released sharks do survive. I one time caught a large blueshark that as I reeleed it to the boat decided to roll and wrapped 2 wire-lines tightly around it's body. I spent the better part of 30 minutes trying to free this fish. When I was finished I thoguht for sure the fish was done for. Still I decided to tag it. 2 years later I received notice from NOAA MFS that my shark was recaptured around 300 miles form where I released it, fatter and larger. By the way, it was captured and killed by a long line commercial fishing boat.

Back
Top Bottom