Shark Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yet did they really find these spots or just reiterate what others had already considered fact?

When I lived in San Clemente, almost every surfer told stories about the concentration of juvenile GWS around San Onofre (and most all of them had lovely names). I don't know if what they found was anything that wasn't already known or suspected (and I'm definitely not an expert).

But the migratory patterns - that is interesting.

Yeah, I am a little uncomfortable with their methodology, as well, although I have no professional knowledge of such things. However, people have been tagging GWS for decades and still don't know that much about them, while these guys have reportedly found a GWS nursery/birthing area already. If it is true, that this method of tagging is better, both in quality and quantity of data retrieved, then I would be more accepting of their methods.

Maybe if they were to forgo the blood/semen sampling, then they could do away with the lift and do it from a boat? Or is that too tall of an order with a large GWS?

Others have found similar things using less invasive methods (including Domeier himself). Many SoCal divers and surfers were aware of the so-called "nursery grounds" well before Domeier's work.

As for taking blood and semen samples without the lift, I doubt I'd volunteer to assist with that! However, the lift is not the only issue with this study. Some of the others include the use of the hooks and "playing" the shark until it is exhausted so they can bring them in. I'm not a shark expert, but I would assume this builds up by-products of extreme muscular activity (such as lactic acid) that can be harmful.

It's typical of modern day shark programming, all fart and no ****. It's sensationalised, fabricated, terrifically dull and doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

I have no doubt that Dolmeir has a thing for sharks but his methods suck and I don't think the crew give a **** about sharks in the slightest, it's just a glorified fishing show with some beefcakes for the housewives to boost viewing figures.

The concept of more advanced tracking is fine but these methods damage the sharks and are actually pretty pointless. It's just a load of people who want to be on telly and get laid and they know sharks are a decent way to do both.

I'm not a fan, can you tell?

It's just a load of people who want to be on telly and get laid and they know sharks are a decent way to do both.

Hmmm... in that case maybe I'll change the focus of my TV show! Just teasing.

:chuckle:

Hey I'm in television working with sharks as well so hopefully people don't accuse me of the same :eyebrow:

Speaking of change..., going from "Expedition Great White" to "Sharkmen" was pretty much a dead give-away of the direction, this "show"(cause THAT's what it IS) would be taking.
Watched the second segment on the Cali-juveniles last night, and my wife kept asking, WHY I was frowning. "Learn as you go", in terms of the methodology employed, doesn't really cut it, the deep-hook and Buoy incidents showed, that there were no redundancy plans in place, whatever happened to thinking things through(What, if...?) before doing something so drastic and traumatic to an animal?

What's the point of putting a short-term tracking device on a 2 yr-old juvenile, when it is highly unlikely for that shark to actually permanently leave the the coastal nursery area before having grown to sufficient size, which will take several years.

In my opinion, the data gathered will result in little more than confirmation of some of the facts already known about the GW, really can't see, how this could lead to a more comprehensive preservation approach, and therefore, what's in it for the shark??

In my opinion, the data gathered will result in little more than confirmation of some of the facts already known about the GW, really can't see, how this could lead to a more comprehensive preservation approach, and therefore, what's in it for the shark??

Well said. As for your last point above, unfortunately what's good for the shark rarely plays a part in these shows, it's just a glorified big game fishing show...

There was a female GWS tagged with an older less intrusive sattelite tag off Shark Bay in South Africa that was found to have travelled all the way to Australia. A ton of interesting and important information was gathered, and the shark wasn't put through the same stress as these are.

You don't have to go all Hollywood to get great science, but it helps if getting rich is also a concern.

I have seen a couple of episodes, the sharks are certainly not having a good day, and it is only a matter of time before one of them is irreparably harmed. Not too mention one of the people is going to get maimed or killed on set. During the hookup and fight these people are just insane, boats crashing into one another etc...idiots the whole lot of them, but I bet their ratings are fantastic.

You don't have to go all Hollywood to get great science, but it helps if getting rich is also a concern.

Unfortunately getting scientific funding is not always an easy task and I wouldn't have a problem if scientists went to "Hollywood" to help fund shows that are truly educational rather than sensational.

As for getting rich, I don't know if that is part of Domeier's intent. Although I don't like his current methods, I don't have any dislike for the man. When I went with him to Guadalupe Island in 2005, I sensed that he had a sincere interest in learning more about GWS. However, the current crew he is working with do not seem to have much in the way of research credentials.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom