Shark on menu at local restaurant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark on restaurant menus is a huge problem worldwide. The biology of sharks does not allow for a sustainable fishery, they reproduce too slowly for a voracious species like humans to target in the long view.

Pier 1 is advertising lemon shark. Lemon shark is not common, nor numerous. In the area of the Bahamas where Pier 1 is located, lemon shark has come under major attack cutting at its reproduction. The nursery area for many of the AtlanticÃÔ lemon sharks is being turned into condos and golf courses. The once fertile mangroves where Dr. Sam Gruber did groundbreaking research on the reproductive biology of lemon sharks has been turned into a silted out underwater desert.
Meldiver has too much love and respect for the Bahama shark species to wish to see them wiped out, and has been witness to the devastation that just one fisherman filling orders for just one restaurant can do.

In 2004 she witnessed one fisherman in a small, 14 foot boat tie up near Shark Junction, a famous shark feeding and viewing site, and watched as over the course of eight days every single resident shark at that site disappeared. The sharks were purchased by a local restaurant for $2 per pound and served to their patrons fried in strips.

Without some support and action, the same will happen on a much wider scale. The lemon shark species may disappear from Bahamian waters if they are targeted either end of their life cycle, losing their reproductive and nursery grounds as well as losing the adult breeding population.

And to the trolls who always comment on how good things taste, I have it on very good authority that you would taste good with a little salt and catsup, but barbecued, better than ANY other meat!

JMO, but I'd try to avoid any endangered species as part of my diet as an informed choice. (I admit ignorance of many food stuffs and some other REALLY interesting stuff too! :p)

Let's start eating those bloody Lion Fish though!

Before I became a diver I have eaten shark. Once I learned about sharks and learned about the way they are being wipped out I will never eat them again. 80% of the population of sharks in North Americia have been elimenated since 1990. It this keeps up the future of the sea will be a mess. Sharks a vital in the sea to help keep a balence. People need to learn more about them and they may just feel bad for them.

I just got back from a shark dive trip in the bahamas and they are beautiful to see and dive with.

who looks ignorant now?

Is this a trick question? Did you really compare cattle ranching to shark fishing?
Is 1995 the year you were born, graduated high school, graduated college or got certified for diving?:confused:

For the rest of the folks in this thread, make sure the restaurant knows why you are boycotting them.

This I did not mention my post but would of course do it....otherwise change is impossible. Thanks for pointing it out because it certainly is important enough.

For the rest of the folks in this thread, make sure the restaurant knows why you are boycotting them.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'd love to see where you came across this misinformation. The overly earth friendly Discovery Channel says sharks are under no threat in the gulf.

Source: Shark Week :: Discovery Channel :: State of the Shark Map

You are the first to mention fishing or cattle ranching in this thread.

That's the year I got certified. I'm unsure how that is relevant to this thread.

I have just looked at the 30 posts that you have added to ScubaBoard and very few of them were adding any value at all to the threads in which they were posted. I am going to follow the lead of a wise SB'er and say that I think it is best for all involved if we choose to refrain from ever responding to each other's posts. Your posts seem to be a waste of digital breath and responding to them can only ever amount to what we have here....you trying to get people all worked up. I do want to respond to :troll:s so I really think this is the best direction for us to head. Thank you in advance for ignoring me.

I have just looked at the 30 posts that you have added to ScubaBoard and <snip>

I'm saddened you wasted that time when it could have been spent more productively researching the environmental misinformation that is so wide spread on SB.

Back
Top Bottom