Shark Poll

What type of an encounter have you had with sharks?

• None, Never dove with a shark

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Only small ones, no harm to anyone

Votes: 38 33.3%
  • Big ones but it was on a shark dive, chumming and baiting

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Big ones, not invited, not harmed

Votes: 60 52.6%
  • Big ones, attacked!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckaspar

Registered
Reaction score
OK, here is the deal. My girlfriend is scared to death of sharks and gives me a hard time everytime I go out diving. She thinks that I will be eaten everytime.

I don't think she understands just how rare sharks in the ocean really are so I am posing this poll as a means of being able to show her how many people have had an encounter with any sizeable shark and how many people were attacked.

If you have a few minutes please vote so I can go diving more without any grief!

Well, here in CA, the primary concern is the landlord. Show her the statistics. Compare the number of divers in California to the number of divers attacked by the landlord, and it's pretty comforting.

Personally, I feel like it's far more likely that I get killed on the road driving to the dive site.

As far as the little ones in CA like Leopard, Horn, Swell, Angel...well, those are not going to attack you.

paolov:
how would yo categorize a shark around 7ft in length? small or big?

Well size is relative but I would classify anything that could do some damage to you as big. I guess you would use your initial feeling when you saw it. Was it big or small the first time you laid eyes on it?

ckaspar:
OK, here is the deal. My girlfriend is scared to death of sharks and gives me a hard time everytime I go out diving. She thinks that I will be eaten everytime.

I don't think she understands just how rare sharks in the ocean really are so I am posing this poll as a means of being able to show her how many people have had an encounter with any sizeable shark and how many people were attacked.

If you have a few minutes please vote so I can go diving more without any grief!

That's funny, I have the exact same problem! I just try to reassure her that the chances of me drowning or being run over by a boat are really far greater than being eaten by Jaws!

rapidiver:
That's funny, I have the exact same problem! I just try to reassure her that the chances of me drowning or being run over by a boat are really far greater than being eaten by Jaws!

That is real assuring I bet. I pulled some stats for her yesterday and as it turns out there are only like 16 deaths due to sharks per year but there are 42 deaths due to lightning strikes per year, so I told her I want her to stay home all day everyday because I do not want her zapped my lightening. Then I told her everytime I go diving I am going to buy a lottery ticket because I have a better chance of coming home rich than not coming home at all due to a shark!

rapidiver:

yup here too. :D maybe i could print this thread.....hmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom