Shark Poll

What type of an encounter have you had with sharks?

• None, Never dove with a shark

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Only small ones, no harm to anyone

Votes: 38 33.3%
  • Big ones but it was on a shark dive, chumming and baiting

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Big ones, not invited, not harmed

Votes: 60 52.6%
  • Big ones, attacked!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckaspar:
OK, here is the deal. My girlfriend is scared to death of sharks and gives me a hard time everytime I go out diving. She thinks that I will be eaten everytime.

I don't think she understands just how rare sharks in the ocean really are so I am posing this poll as a means of being able to show her how many people have had an encounter with any sizeable shark and how many people were attacked.

If you have a few minutes please vote so I can go diving more without any grief!

Interesting background on this poll, I usually dislike polls on forums, not sure what my aversion really is, maybe it's like those rather dumb excuses to have a long thread. But hats off for creating a specific and interesting list.

You could show her some of Papa's tiger and lemon video from digitaldiver.net - the sight of one of the "most dangerous sharks in the world" snuffling about around divers like an overgrown puppy may allay her fears...

I've been in the water with a few and never felt anything other then awe.

Many white tip reef sharks while diving Beqa Lagoon, Fiji this month. One cruised by within a couple of feet. We also seen Black tips, grey reefs and a lemon during those nine days of diving. We were hoping to see bulls and perhaps a tiger but since it was the start of mating season the bull sharks were off to other things. I've had joy of being visitrd by a 9ft bull and a dive in Marathon, Fla; It came within 3-4 feet of me with no problems. And I've seen many nurse sharks in Fla.

Okay, this is the way I had it explained to me by a marine biologist at the Sydney Aquarium a couple of years ago. He said that sharks are primarily creatures of instinct, and they don't have a lot of brain power. They are born knowing almost everything they need to know. Now, instinct by its evolutionary nature takes a looong time to alter, usually on the order of many generations (if not much more!). And how long have divers been on the scene? 50 or 60 years maybe? ( I am discounting early free divers for now, due the limited numbers of them, the limited areas of exposure, and the relatively brief exposure times.) That is hardly enough to make a dent in the instinctual process. The upshot of this is, most sharks at depth simply don't know what we are. Divers don't compute, to them. And, unless you do something really stupid ( which accesses one of their instinctual responses, like trying to grab the tail of one:11: , or dragging bloody fish behind you ), they really don't know what to do about you. I have had several big sharks, including a couple of 10 foot tigers, cruise right by me to look me over, but never had one come within touching range. (Nice pictures, though.)
When you look at actual shark attacks, where are the overwhelming majority of them located? In very shallow water, or to a lesser degree, at the surface. This is where sharks have been interacting with humans for millenia. They KNOW what we are here. Although, even then, most of the attacks I have researched have been probable cases of mistaken identity. Murky water which limits visibility, other targets in the water close by, etc. Sure, some attacks don't fit these parameters, but hey, life is full of uncertainties and little mysteries. I'm just going with the numbers here. By and large, this is the way I had it explained to me, and it sure seems to fit the available data. I am sure that others have differing views, and I'm sure we are going to hear from a few now. But isn't that the point of this board? Sorry this was so long, but I just had to get my 2 cents worth out. Thanks for listening. Woody

Good stuff, Woody. Thanks for sharing that.

C-Dawg, I love that photo...

Thanks to all the folks who have posted photos of sharks in the photo gallery, by the way. I'm not afraid of sharks, but I am awed by their grace, power, and speed. Beautiful, amazing creatures...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom