Shark River L Street

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
NJ shore dive Question: "Shark River" bay or whatever (Neptune). Is parking still allowed in the parking lot at the water's edge (by the beach/boat ramp, etc.)? I parked there last year but saw somewhere there are "no parking" signs in the area. Thanks in advance.

Yes Parking is still there and I have met policemen doing a parking lot check while I was suiting up that did not have an issue with me parking there - he stopped and chatted turns out he was also a diver and was curious about the viz and critters.
shark_river_bay_aerial.jpg

Other thought but I have not dove there is just down the way the town opened up a new dive access. Maclearie Park - less than 1/4 mile west on Route 35.
divesite_5724_6363.jpg

BTW it is Belmar - Neptune is one town over - but either way it is a decent dive later in the season with tropicals coming in Late July and August.

Other thought but I have not dove there is just down the way the town opened up a new dive access. Maclearie Park - less than 1/4 mile west on Route 35.
View attachment 208387

Problem is, the convenient parking for that access is closed during the night. I called Belmar PD several weeks back, they suggested taking it up with the town of Belmar and ask to have the parking restriction eased for divers. I'll gladly pursue this if anybody PM's me with a name or contact.

The "No Parking" signs near the boat ramp tend to mean right there at the sign. There have been issues with keeping the ramp accessible to boats/trailers.

Try this -
[h=1]Contact[/h]
Contacting us is easy! Our contact information is listed below, or, you can fill out the simple contact form to the right.​
Belmar Municipal Building
601 Main Street
Belmar, NJ 07719​
Telephone
732-681-3700​
Fax
732-681-3434​
General Email Inquiries
info@belmar.com

On it...

---------- Post added May 12th, 2015 at 11:17 AM ----------

Good news.

Those signs are worded to prevent people from sleeping there overnight. I was just informed by Belmar that divers are allowed to, and currently do, park and dive there legally during the night.

Sweet!

Thanks guys. May give the Maclearie Park a try.

... Those signs are worded to prevent people from sleeping there overnight. I was just informed by Belmar that divers are allowed to, and currently do, park and dive there legally during the night. ...
But, even as of this morning, I still find them a bit confusing...
Parking.jpg

However, Belmar gets full credit for making this a very diver friendly entry site:

DiverFriendlyEntry.jpg

And finally, Flags:

DiveFlag.jpg

I'm hoping to go there this Saturday. How's the visibility been?

Raining all week.

Don't expect too much. But it 'never' goes to zero. Approach it with an open mind while looking for small critters and you won't be disappointed even at this time of year.

Yeah, i've been there on less than spectacular days. Thanks to the rocks, i always find something. Basically, if i don't get hooked by an oblivious fisherperson, it's a good day.

Back
Top Bottom