Shark River L Street

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Btw, how deep is the area at L street? My friend says it's only a few feet. Sounds odd.

19 feet is about the deepest you will find. However - in July and August you will find all kinds of tropicals including SeaHorses... So sure it may be shallow - where else are you finding SeaHorses, eels, crabs of all kinds, squid and all kinds of life with easy access?

19 feet sounds about right. I have no problem with depth. To me it's not how deep the water is, but what you get to see. I never dove L street, just the inlet. But just a few feet didn't sound right to me. Where are the good spits to go in there?

In Post#2 - the very first photo is the boat ramp at the corner of L Street and River road (Route 35).

To me this is the best place to enter - you can use the boat ramp if there are no boats - generally late at night or you can enter via the beach and come in on the sand. Looking down the ramp and to the left is a pier that is the best spot to start. I snorkel or swim to the pier and then drop down - you can follow the pylons (Northish or NW) or go across the channel (Eastish).
I generally hug the bottom and get in about an hour or less before high tide and I can go about an hour after high tide. With an AL 80 I can get 1.5 to 2.0 hours or more depending on the viz. Yeah I know viz has nothing to do with run time but I get bored if the viz is a foot or two. If it is 5 to 8 I like to extend the dive. Once you get comfortable with the site you can then zero in on the critters.

G0050542.jpgG0161032.jpgG0191145.jpgG0241276.jpgG0321534.jpg

Night dives this week are going to be good timing with HighTides Tuesday 8:30pm - however we are supposed to get rain this week - rain kills the viz at L Street... If it does not rain heavy I am interested in going this week - if you can make it - I would be glad to show you around. But again rain is key to the viz... It takes me an hour without traffic to get to L Street so I pick the later times up to about midnight on a work night - I need to be able to clean the equipment and get up for work the next morning :D

I was going to try and make it there this past weekend, but I was exhausted from a kayak trip Saturday morning. And you're right. This week is going to be lousy with rain. Maybe by this weekend I'll hopefully be able to go.

Almost forgot, there's no restriction here like the inlet's 8-5:30 diving ban, correct?

I was going to try and make it there this past weekend, but I was exhausted from a kayak trip Saturday morning. And you're right. This week is going to be lousy with rain. Maybe by this weekend I'll hopefully be able to go.

Almost forgot, there's no restriction here like the inlet's 8-5:30 diving ban, correct?

Ha - I was exhausted from a shore dive 1200 feet up on the Appalachian Trail... lol

But yes there are only restrictions in the inlets - back bays and shore dives are unrestricted...

My kayak stays in the OCEAN, brother!

The night dive pics are cool! I'm going to have to get a good torch until i get an underwater camera with a good flash. Too bad they're more expensive than most scuba gear i look at...

I did not spend a lot on a dive light - I picked up a couple from the Scubaboard Classified section and bought a cheap Chinese one that is very bright and very good - so far - $13 for the light and a Lithium battery and charger for $30 or so...
If you have never done a night dive it is very fun (not as scary as you would think) and L Street is one of the better places to do a night dive - very little current. It helps me get more diving in the year when I can do a day and or a night dive.

The Maclearie Park platform has a posted sign with the rules, formerly at the L Street location. Each major NJ inlet has additional rules.

NJ General Diving Regulations.jpg

It is all the normal diving stuff - but the Inlets are where the limitations come in...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom