Shark River L Street

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not spend a lot on a dive light - I picked up a couple from the Scubaboard Classified section and bought a cheap Chinese one that is very bright and very good - so far - $13 for the light and a Lithium battery and charger for $30 or so...
If you have never done a night dive it is very fun (not as scary as you would think) and L Street is one of the better places to do a night dive - very little current. It helps me get more diving in the year when I can do a day and or a night dive.

Those cheap Chinese UW lights work well in the shallow inlet areas where they are not subjected to serious pressure. I prefer the push button switch because you can operate it with one hand. I use a very bright Chinese made light with a wide diffuse beam, no central hot spot, really designed for photography, a little more expensive but still a bargain. I'd hesitate exposing these lights to water deeper than 50 or 60 feet.

Once you try night diving in easy locations like the inlets or back bay you quickly realize it's not frightening in the slightest. Negotiating these areas makes for good compass skills practice.

On some rare nights in late summer when the wind has been moderate out of the NE for a few days I've seen the visibility exceed an honest 15 feet when the water stops moving at peak high, sometimes even more. This may not sound like much, but it's really more than you could possibly need.

Diving the inlets after about 6pm when it's legal means starting when there is still plenty of surface light, though a hand light is still needed as you explore the bottom while daylight is fading.

I'm dealing with a bad recurrent ear infection that I hope will be resolved within the coming few weeks, in time for the arrival of tropicals and the clearer water that comes in from the Gulf Stream.

Just so y`all know, it was the camera and flash that I meant were quite expensive. The Sealife micro HD and Sea Dragon flash set is like $800. And It's not even a raw file camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom