Shark Tonic Immobility - Where to see this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sherky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK this might be a toughie to find, but does anyone know where to go to see and film Tonic Immobility being performed on Sharks?

Part of my Great White Shark documentary I'm making has a sequence that talks about Tonic Immobility being done on Sharks, touching them in a certain way and putting them in a trance or to sleep.

I was thinking of using archive pictures to hep illustrate this, but I'd rather get real first hand footage of it myself. Only I don't know where to go in the world where I can be guaranteed to see this or if there are diving trips or people that specifically do this, whether they do it already, or if they would do it for me if I asked?

Also at this time of the year, it might be the wrong time to ask. But f anyone has any news or where else to ask, please let me know. Thank you all.

Hi Sherky-

I would think any researcher working with sharks at boatside would be doing this. I'm more familiar with American shark researchers like Kim Holland, Chris Lowe, and Mote Marine Lab, but ask around locally. Some may be more inclined to let film-makers on board than others.

What kind of tonic immobility are you looking for? If you only want to turn them upside down, the toughest part is catching the shark. After that apply a tail-rope from the stern, tie the hooked line taught to the bow, and carefully grab the pec fins and flip. Use common sense since they aren't out cold when upside down, only a little more relaxed than normal. If the shark snaps or the hook comes loose, you don't want your arm in the way. It can get a little more complicated than this, so don't try it until someone shows you how, but that's generally how its done in a nutshell.

The other way I know of is to grab the shark by the snout. I've never done this method before, but I imagine it takes more cahonies than technique.

As a tourist attraction I imagine people would object to handling the sharks and as such I don't know of anyone that does this for entertainment.

UNEXSO on Grand Bahama Island, the Bahamas Dolphin & Scuba Diving Activities & More! ask for Cristina Zenato, she THE person for tonic immobility. Tell her Jeff Trotta sent you.

I'd recommend you watch the documentary "Shark Man", it would appear that you may be a bit behind the ball, although I'm all for another shark documentary provided you present them in the proper light, not as maneaters as so many do.

You may also want to contact Mike Rutzen Mike Rutzen's Shark Diving Unlimited. He may be able to get you the information and who to contact for dives and operators where you can see this phenomenon. The above video of Mike, the Sharkman, was shown during Shark Week in 2007. He has used that technique on Tigers and White Sharks also.

Carolyn :shark2:

Thanks a bunch for posting Carolyn. The video looks like Mike Rutzen working with the caribbean reef sharks at UNEXSO. Also, I believe I dove with you out of Jupiter Dive Center a little while back.

UNEXSO on Grand Bahama Island, the Bahamas Dolphin & Scuba Diving Activities & More! ask for Cristina Zenato, she THE person for tonic immobility. Tell her Jeff Trotta sent you.

Thanks SShark. I'll give this a go right now, email them, then maybe call them later on the phone. Hope it gives me some leads, though at this time of year, I may be too late to get any such dives.

Thanks for all the other posts too, people. I know all about Michel Rutzen, he one day hopes to do this with Great Whites. Any other leads or organisations you guys know about, please keep them coming. Big appreciation all round.

Sherky:

I sent part of this posting to Cristina, so she will have some knowledge of the correspondence.

The Bahamas is divable 12 months of the year and, the caribbean reef sharks are always there.

Just be sure to schedule when Ms. Zenato is available. Your odds of success will be greatly enhanced.

Jeff

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but there was an awesome special on National Geographic about Killers Whales using this tactic on Great White sharks. It may be worth it for you to look into it.

Yeah, Saint, I've got this doc waiting to be seen. I heard about it, it sounds incredible. I love Killer Whales since a kid too, so would love to see this, though it won't be too pleasant I should consider.

SSharkk, I have been emailing Cristina back and forth about doing a Tonic Immobility dive possibly before the end f this year, I hope we can work this out. So much big thanks to you though, I wouldn't be so close as I am to this if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have even THOUGHT I could find someone to do this so specifically AND at this time of year, I'm so lucky, I should seize this opportunity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom