Shark Week on Discovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that the Deadly Waters show was bad, although I didn't watch it all(was too boring), it was the only show that showed them in a semi-bad light....

This program almost redefines the term junk science. With a sample of two, these retards were able to determine certain shark behaviors. I love it. I'm surprised they didn't blame global warming on shark flatulence since there were bubbles observed in the water.

I'm really disappointed that "Sharkwater" is not included.
Rob Stewart did an excellent job with this documentary.
The plight of sharks really needs to be addressed and a
prime place for that would have been during "Shark Week".

I suspect Sharkwater would not be good for the hyped-up ratings. Besides, if it made my wife cry, it would clearly not meet the level of sensationalism that is required by The Discovery Channel. Although, I have to admit, I do look at Sea Shepard much differently now that I have seen them in action without media bias. My wife was all hopped-up to sign up with her AR-15 assault rifle...until she saw the part where the Costa Rican Coast Guard took their shotgun and arrested everyone.

Shark week issues:
how many times do we really need to see air jaws?
mostly harmless sharks get portrayed as maneaters
(they show a bait ball reef shark dive and narrate it as if their lives are in danger)
maneaters get portrayed as harmless misunderstood scamps
(i free dive with great whites, its safe! lol!,yeah, sharkwater fits in this category)

Of course, I've just about had it with those networks in general. Its either survival shows where dudes eat cow pies to stay alive in a desert, stock footage shows compiled by interns, or scare shows like River Monsters where they try to make carp look like maneaters.

1. Les Stroub is an idiot.

2. They should have gotten more into the details on the opening story of the guy who died in the Bahamas.

Sundays special was essentially a movie version of a book written about the shark attacks of Jersey in 1916-I have it on my bookshelf but don't recall the name.

Btw, Les also seemed to have the worlds most random collection of scuba gear.

Dear Discovery Channel:

As an avid Shark Week fan, I want to tell you how much I enjoy the drama and the "gorefest" that you bring into my living room every summer. The problem is ... the shows are becoming too stagnant for my tastes. I noticed in the credits of the programming, there are a lot of Dr.'s, Ph.D.'s and marine institutes being thanked for their help. I strongly believe that the scientists are holding you back from airing the type of programming that will best educate the public about the role sharks play in the ecosystem. I would suggest Quentin Tarrantino, Wes Craven, M. Night Shyamalan, Rob Zombie or Dick Cheney be consulted for the horrors they create rather than reducing the credibility of actual scientists who need to pimp themselves out to you for a week so they could fund true research the other 51 weeks of the year.

I must admit, I'm impressed with your special effects team. Perhaps when actor Mark Harmon gets around to making the movie Summer School 2: We Have No Class, rather than a tribute to Rick Baker, the F/X guru from the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre film, as done by the characters Chainsaw and Dave in Summer School, Chainsaw and Dave will return to class as guest speakers and the jobs they hold are F/X guys for the Discovery Channel? Basically what I'm asking for is more blood, guts and gore! More! More! More! More! More!

In fact, why do you bother to reproduce a shark attack at all? Hasn't television advanced to the point that we can dispense with re-creations and go for it! C'mon, you know you wanna! That's right ... a LIVE shark attack! No, I don't mean video of an actual attack, I mean LIVE at that moment as it happens like America's Got Talent or American Idol. How's this for an idea? You take the different species of shark that are most often exploited on your shows and you have them compete to savage the flesh of different people you drop into the water. We can study what ethnic groups or genders are more likely to die on a reality TV show about sharks.

Think about it. Your camera angles can capture the drama of a mother who watches her child torn to shreds by a nurse shark or maybe even a dogfish shark? The gut-wrenching facial expresses, followed closely behind by the reality confessional in which the tearful mother can share her innermost (not scripted at all thoughts) about the horror of losing her only child to a vicious maneater that was only doing what you forced it to do. Maybe you could draw out the drama and make every commercial break a cliffhanger, just long enough that we can witness all 5 stages of the grieving process happen within an hour segment?

The sharks on the other hand could have a ceremony in which you give out the "final remora" for those who get to stay in the tank. Every episode, when a shark gets voted off for not being convincing enough in its attack, it will get tossed into a big bowl of soup. I'm sure the Campbell's company would love to sponsor that. Shark fin soup! Mmmm ... mmm ... good!

Dear Discovery Channel:

Please tell me you sent this! :rofl3:

.......I would suggest Quentin Tarrantino, Wes Craven, M. Night Shyamalan, Rob Zombie or Dick Cheney be consulted for the horrors they create.......

That right there is worth the price of admission alone. Thanks.

Please tell me you sent this! :rofl3:

That right there is worth the price of admission alone. Thanks.

They only allow 1500 characters. I'm working on editing it, yet keeping the full flavor of the Discovery roast.

Dear Discovery Channel:

As an avid Shark Week fan, ...

Over the top Trace - priceless.....

2. They should have gotten more into the details on the opening story of the guy who died in the Bahamas.

Or how he was transported stable, that is until they ripped out the coagulating bandage...

Over the top Trace - priceless.....

Or how he was transported stable, that is until they ripped out the coagulating bandage...

Are we talking about the same one...I thought it had to do with the incident last February.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom