Sharks, Sharks and more sharks: Yonaguni

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive just returned from Cocos and Galapagos as part of a film making expedition. The rangers on Cocos told us that the longliner/poachers are increasingly bold and are fshing sharks and swordfish and tuna. We saw one large school of hammerheads at Cocos- extremely graceful and shy. They would appear and disappered as quickly, but at night they seemed to stay around a little longer. We saw very few sharks in the Galapagos but the conditions were poor. We did see many fishing boats as we sailed between the two island groups. Marviva is working in the area trying to enforce the fishing laws and report vessels finning. We went out one night patrolling but the fishing boats move when they hear of the patrol. There is no Costa Rican enforcement.
Its sad that these world heritage sites are being violated so flagrantly. As divers we need to help so future divers can continue to experience these incredible animals.

The rangers on Cocos told us that the longliner/poachers are increasingly bold and are fshing sharks and swordfish and tuna. There is no Costa Rican enforcement.
Its sad that these world heritage sites are being violated so flagrantly. As divers we need to help so future divers can continue to experience these incredible animals.

Hi Sharkfilms,
I dove my Dolphin SCR in Cocos April, 2006 and saw many groups of 40-50 hammerheads. They were all indifferent to divers and swam around us. I am disappointed to read that there are now more and more poachers fishing sharks in that area. It is in the Costa Rican national park, and I expect there must be their own law enforcement to prevent illegal fishing

Ken

Back
Top Bottom