Sharks Teeth in Venice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapember

Reaction score
Does anybody know any landmarks to look for to get in a good area to dive for teeth in Venice, GPS numbers would even be better. I can't figure out where to dive to look for the teeth.

Hi Scubapember. Go to the condominiums at Caspersen Beach and swim out to a depth of 20'. If you want to really get on the teeth, go out with Steve Thacker (I forgot the name of the dive shop, but I think it's the only one in Venice). Most of the boats search at the 20' depth line, so you can pretty much start at the beach anywhere and start looking at that depth. You probably won't find the large teeth (such as those found in the Cooper River, SC), but you'll find lots of small fossilized teeth from lemons, bulls, tigers, etc. IMO, the coolest teeth are from sand tigers--long and needle-like. There's a good chance that you may find teeth from Isurus hastalis (extinct mako) in the 2-4" size range. You may also find megalodon teeth, but the smaller teeth are far more common. The bottom is sand; look for depressions or weeds. Almost everthing you see that's black is some sort of fossilized remains. Good luck. -Clay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom