sharks teeth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for shore diving Venice Beach.

I'm making that place my hangout for the weekends this Winter.

I also know for a fact that the St. Mary's River holds fossils, but it's a much different type of dive. More like what I'd imagine SeaJay dives in. No lights, no extra gear, just gloves and a bag. It's zer0 (nuthin, nadda, notseeingadarnedthing including your gauges) vis black water diving with gators and snakes.

-=V=-

I am new here but have heard that venice beach is the place to go to find sharks teeth. The Dive is shallow so you can get a lot of bottom time. I was wanting to go some time this week if you are interested in going.

Mike

I go to Venice beach sharks' tooth hunting pretty much every weekend. If you do a search on this board, you'll find directions to an excellent site, search for alhambra (that the name of the road you park on). There's two large pipes draining into the water there, head out to about 15' depth, you'll reach a point at this depth where the sand kinda ends and shells begin. That's the bed. You can find literally hundreds of teeth (sand tiger, bull/reef, lemon) on each dive. The shallow depth allows for approx 2 hours per tank. I've found some really cool teeth out there, including a 2 1/2" megladon tooth in perfect condition.

Venice is definitely the place to go for teeth. My wife and I have made that our biweekly dive trip 3 times in a row now.. she's quite addicted to the scavenger hunt of it all. She found a partial megladon yesterday that is about 2" in size.. just a side. We chatted with other divers there and shey showed us about 4 megs they found themselves along with some other interesting fossils (vertibrae, ribs, etc.) in the same area we were... The first part of the riverbed is definitely cool for finding the smaller teeth though.

Here are what some of the teeth look like that you'll find on the closer portion of the riverbed (approximately 100 yards out).

Isn't that the coolest! When I found my meg tooth, I bet everyone in the county heard me from underwater! It was so amazing, that at first, I thought it was a "plant", just laying there like someone placed it there.

If anyone is interested, I'll most likely be going out this Sunday. The only thing that might prevent it is I'm having sinus probs right now, but I've still got 4 days to fix it - please pass the vitamin C :D.

I usually try to be in the water by 9:30.

Venice Beach sometimes soon....just stinks that it is
about 3 1/2 hours from me....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom