Sharkskin undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve_619

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I currently have an Aqualung Fusion Bullet drysuit. Am considering getting a sharkskin undergarment. What do you think the temp range would be for that? Local waters are 54-60 degrees, do you guys think that will provide enough warmth?

I would not use Sharkskin under a drysuit. It doesn't breathe well enough. If you only want the equivalent warmth that Sharkskin would give, I think you would be better off and spend less money to get a Merino wool baselayer. Leggings and a shirt.

I was able to get my hands on one to try out. It did keep me warm in 57 degree water. I only had a spandex like shorts under it. I didn't think about the not breathing part, thats gonna be a problem in the summer time. Do those merino wool base layers really have that much warmth alone?

Depends on what weight (i.e. how thick) you get. They are quite warm for their thickness.

I also have a Fusion Bullet and I have experimented with various base layers in various water temps. I don't have the Sharkskin, but I do have the Pinnacle V-Skin Merino Wool wetsuit, which is supposed to be pretty equivalent to the Sharksin. I use it in warm water diving as my neutrally buoyant 2.5-3mm wetsuit in temps from 79 to above. I have also used it as a drysuit undergarment in California Channel Islands diving quite comfortably in water temps down to 65 degrees. I love how it allows me to reduce about 8-10 lbs of lead and increases flexibility and movement. For me personally, once the water temp gets below 65 degrees, the Pinnacle goes away and I am back in my Thermal Fusion undergarment in order to enjoy long and comfortable dives. Hope that helps. I can't imagine using it as my only undergarment in the 54-60 temp range. Dives would be short lived.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom