Undergarment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I am diving in the US NE region May through December and getting used to my new trilam drysuit.
Have a base layer and a used jumpsuit style undergarments from Whites. Thinking of buying new undergarments which would then be my primary.

Price is a factor for me. I appreciate quality but don't care for possible bells and whistles and inflated price. If paying a premium price is worth it , I'd pull the trigger though.

What is your favorite undergarments and why?

Summer I use pinnacle thin ones.

Winter I use fourth element with merino hiking base layer. The aqualung ones are also very warm but a pain in the dick to get on and require a lot of lead.

My favorite for under a dry suit is a my soft comfortable track suit. It's a generic brand fleece with a smooth outer layer. I also wear it for pajamas when I'm camping in cooler weather. For cold water, I add a pair of thermal long johns. Of course I won't win any style points between dives, and I have no high-end dive gear logo. All I'm interested in is comfortable and easy to get dressed in. It's also nice if I can put it on at home and drive to the dive site wearing it without being overly self-conscious.

I have a DUI DuoTherm 300 double layer fleece one piece. Not cheap, but I’m a hard size to fit and it was custom, which was a big factor to choose that one.

Fourth Element comes up fairly often used. I’d suggest you look for that here and on scuba sale groups on FB. For base layer, I use just REI store brand thin polypro. I’ve also got smart wool to use if I want.

I have the FE X-Core vest for when it’s really cold. It’s rather buoyant and requires two exte lbs of lead.

Fourth elements are pretty good but you’ll want a merino wool base layer to wick sweat as they tend to get clammy without one.

Early and late season you can switch to a thicker base layer to combat the colder water, or throw on a heated vest.

I've gotten back into stream fishing and started looking at fly fishing sites.

Found these: Redington I/O Fleece Wading Pant

Like gmerick I've always worn fleece sweatpants in my drysuit. Had to sew stirrups on the ankles though. Also, its hard to find 100% polyester fleece. Most "fleece" sweats are actually a cotton/fleece blend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom