SHARKWATER Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbedivin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got back from a sneak preview of this movie at the University of Miami. This movie is one of the most moving movies that i have ever seen in my life. It is brilliantly made and exposes some of the most disgusting practices in the fishing of sharks. The underwater scenes are remarkable and the above water scenes are remarkably disturbing. The director of the movie spoke at the screening and I was able to personally meet him after the show. When you see the movie you will be shocked at what this man did. He battled life threatening diseases and exposed incredibly corrupt operations and he started this when he was 22 setting out to just make a movie about sharks thinking it would take 3 months. His focus then shifted because of the things that he witnessed on his expedition. This man is my new hero.

JUST SEE THE MOVIE IT WILL BE WORTH EVERY CENT.

Tell you friends and everyone you know whether they dive or like the ocean or not. This is one of the most important conservation issues we will face in a very long time.

I will be in Florida next week. I plan to go see if on Friday in Orlando. Otherwise I will have to wait until November to see it here.

It really is incredible I can't wait until it is released everywhere to see the reactions to the film by the general public. It is actually my favorite movie this film was really necessary as the shark finning business has gone on wayyyy to long and for ridiculous reasons. How can there be no international law protecting sharks when we have already killed 90% of all sharks? That is absurd.

I saw it at the Boston Sea Rovers back in March, an incredible film. Everyones got to see it.

I just got back from a sneak preview of this movie at the University of Miami. This movie is one of the most moving movies that i have ever seen in my life. It is brilliantly made and exposes some of the most disgusting practices in the fishing of sharks. The underwater scenes are remarkable and the above water scenes are remarkably disturbing. The director of the movie spoke at the screening and I was able to personally meet him after the show. When you see the movie you will be shocked at what this man did. He battled life threatening diseases and exposed incredibly corrupt operations and he started this when he was 22 setting out to just make a movie about sharks thinking it would take 3 months. His focus then shifted because of the things that he witnessed on his expedition. This man is my new hero.

JUST SEE THE MOVIE IT WILL BE WORTH EVERY CENT.

Tell you friends and everyone you know whether they dive or like the ocean or not. This is one of the most important conservation issues we will face in a very long time.

Thanks for the recommendation, WhitmanDive! I got free tickets for a Wednesday premiere and am really looking forward to seeing Sharkwater.

Could you give a bit more information on Rob Stewart's talk at the screening? That must have been very interesting...

Been Trying to Catch it but scheduling has been tough

I will post more on Rob Stewart's talk after I see the movie again this friday. I remember basically all of the information he talked about and that was in the film but it all kind of blends together and I don't want to ruin the movie for everyone. So once I see the movie again and it premieres in Florida I will do a post that summarizes all of the things he added. One thing I do remember him saying wasn't in the film was his negotiations with the Costa Rican government. Since the film portrays the government in kind of a bad light they started to get scared about the release to the world after the film did so well in Canada. They contacted him asking him to put at the end of the film "and the Costa Rican government is taking great steps to stop illegal shark finning and longlining of sharks" or something to that tune. And his reply to them was "well if you actually show us you are taking those great steps I will be happy to put that at the end of the film. So he was talking about how he has some leverage over the Costa Rican government! He said he is making sort of a wish list of things he wants them to do, one of them being to drop all charges of attempted murder against Paul Watson, the captain of the Sea Shepherd boat that they were on that you will understand more about after seeing the movie. I just thought that was really cool that he is this guy who is 27 and made a movie and he is influencing a whole government. More updates on his talk will come either friday or saturday.

I'm the founder of a large dive club in NYC (the largest and fastest growing in NYC, just over 1,000 members), Oceanblue Divers. We actually did a preview screening of Sharkwater in May with Rob Stewart in attendance. It's an amazing movie and it was an amazing event.

We're welcoming Captain Watson to our anniversary party which is a week from Thursday, October 4th. Any of you who might be in the New York City area are welcome to come. We're raffling off gear and trips and there's a silent auction where travel and art are some of the prizes. Proceeds benefit the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society and the ongoing conservation efforts and activities of Oceanblue Divers. Hope you'll join us!

More information is available at:

http://www.oceanbluedivers.net/events

Oh, and definitely go see Sharkwater!

-Michael

Back
Top Bottom